The Accounting Supervisor, Assurant Finance Services (AFS) will supervise the day-to-day operations for a specific functional team(s) on the Reconciliation Center of Excellence (Recon CoE). This position relies on supervisory experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals and is familiar with a variety of process concepts, best practices, and procedures. This role will work directly with other key leaders on the CoE, and other Global Accounting teams; in establishing processes and procedures to ensure efficient and effective controls are in place for areas of functional responsibilities. This includes but not limited to ensuring the delivery of quality balance sheet reconciliations, accurate documentation/SOPs for the reconciliation process, driving standardization and enhancements for the reconciliation process across the Enterprise and ensuring reconciliations are performed according to policy. This Accounting Supervisor position also has full authority for personnel decisions. In addition to supervising the day-to-day operations, is also responsible for providing guidance and development support to accounting staff.
Position will cultivate a continuous improvement culture, promote ongoing learning, and exhibit a high level of engagement in a fast-paced F&A shared services environment. The ideal candidate must be able to contribute to the Shared Service strategy and execution by applying knowledge and experience and helping develop others by cross-training.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
- Supervise, coach, and develop a virtual accounting team of both on and offshore resources
- Is considered a leader and/or technical expert in areas of responsibilities and can ensure requirements are understood and met by internal and external resources
- Work and manage independently with other CoE management members
- High level of efficiency and accuracy
- Accountable for complex balance sheet reconciliations related activities both (onshore and offshore)
- Gather & analyze data, identify differences, communicate appropriately, and ensure relevant resolution for reconciliations
- Provide guidance and direction on reconciliation requirements
- Maintain standards according to reconciliation policy
- Demonstrate an understanding of reconciliation related processes and inter-dependencies
- Support the monitoring and reporting of reconciliation dashboard
- Tracking of issues reported and accountable of those issues through resolution
- Continuous improvement mentality and partnering for transformational activities related to improving the quality and accuracy of reconciliations
- Provide support of audits and ensure SOX compliance for assigned responsibilities
- Coordinate with stakeholders to ensure adherence to processes and policies and understanding those requirements
- Supervise projects and initiatives including system integrations, acquisitions, and process improvement
- Develop strong understanding and familiarity with critical systems used by the department
- Partner with Finance leadership to provide financial analysis and insights to advance leadership discussion and decision making
- Ability to take a consultative approach with stakeholders and influence decision-making
- Adhere to strict timelines for recurring deliverables such as month-end close activities
- BA or BS in Accounting, Finance, or equivalent experience, CPA strongly preferred
- 3-5 years of related general accounting experience, insurance preferred
- Two (2) years of supervisory experience
- Blackline or other reconciliation tool usage a plus
- Working in a shared services environment a plus
- Experience working with Oracle ERP and ARC a plus
- Knowledge of US GAAP, STAT, internal controls, financial reporting and data analysis and trending preferred
- Working knowledge of balance sheet reconciliations
- Understanding of progressive accounting practices and procedures
- Advanced in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically excel and power point
- Working knowledge of regulatory requirements (i.e., SOX, audits)
- Problem analysis and resolution at a functional level – detail and results oriented
- Ability to multi-task, work well under pressure and perform in a fast-paced environment
- Time sensitive deliverables: will require extended hours during critical close periods as required
- CPA strongly preferred
- Microsoft BI Reporting / Cubes a plus
- Public accounting and/or Audit experience a plus
- Strong understanding of SOX controls and other controls over financial reporting
- Strong collaboration, delegation, and partnering skills
- Strong financial analysis, analytical abilities and proficient in manipulating and analyzing large, complex, and disparate data sets
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Proficient in leveraging software to satisfy accounting and financial operational needs and requirements
Helping People Thrive in a Connected World
We work with the world’s top brands to make smart devices simpler. Vehicles last longer. Homes more secure. Problems easier to solve. And we volunteer in communities all over the globe to help the world become a greener, better place. We come from a variety of countries, cultures and backgrounds. But we’re united by our enduring values of common sense, common decency, uncommon thinking and uncommon results. So connect with us. Bring us your best work and your brightest ideas. And we’ll bring you a place where you can thrive. Learn more at jobs.assurant.com.
For U.S. benefit information, visit myassurantbenefits.com. For benefit information outside the U.S., please speak with your recruiter.
Our Culture Defined
Our unique culture is a big reason why talented people choose Assurant and why they tend to stay. Although we have a wide variety of skills and experiences, we share common characteristics that are uniquely Assurant. A passion for service. An ability to innovate in practical ways. And a willingness to take chances. We believe that staying on top doesn’t mean sacrificing our values. We believe clarity of vision and a sense of purpose will carry us forward. And we take charge of our own success. We call it The Assurant Way.
Assurant is a leading global business services company that supports, protects and connects major consumer purchases. A Fortune 500 company with a presence in 21 countries, Assurant supports the advancement of the connected world by partnering with the world’s leading brands to develop innovative solutions and deliver an enhanced customer experience through mobile device solutions, extended service contracts, vehicle protection services, renters insurance, lender-placed insurance products and other specialty products.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Assurant is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and does not use or consider race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law in employment decisions.