Assurant is seeking an Associate Underwriter to work remote from Home!
The Associate Underwriter is responsible for underwriting applications based on the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) rules and regulations. The Flood Underwriter I will evaluate the risk to determine whether this risk is rated correctly. In addition the Flood Underwriter I will analyze and collect all pertinent information needed to issue the policy and is responsible for re-rating the risk to meet proper company and federal guidelines. There will be direct contact with clients and customers by phone, email, fax and mail. The Flood Underwriter I will be responsible for responding to and staying within set Company and NFIP requirements.
Key Responsibilities for this position includes:
- Assess customer needs
- Work with customers to answer questions or resolve issues
- Completes payment, claim reporting and inquiries from calls
- Keeping current on NFIP program changes
- Underwriting and issuing Flood policies
- Assist Insurance Agents with Flood quoting process as well as any other underwriting needs.
The Flood Underwriter I will receive 3 to 6 months of paid on the job training that includes personalized training plans and mentors. This specialized training will help well round your insurance knowledge in the fast growing Flood segment of the insurance industry.
Hours for this position are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday and could include some overtime. Anyone with a minimum of 1 year or more of National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) knowledge/experience is encouraged to apply.
- High school diploma or GED
- 1 year of National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) experience.
- Strong phone skills and ability to handle inbound calls.
- Determines level of risk based on well-established guidelines and can approve policies issued as standard.
- Applies underwriting and risk selection techniques to determine the acceptability of new and renewal insurance risk.
- Responds to inquiries regarding underwriting processes and decisions, interpretation of policy forms and coverage’s, and premium levels
- Uses clear guidelines, an underwriting manual, and established authority levels. Makes independent decision within guidelines and procedures.
- Ability to handle basic and routine task.
- Ability to follows standard procedures to perform tasks.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast paced high volume team based environment
- Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude through a friendly and outgoing phone voice
- Demonstrates excellent listening skills and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in data entry and using 10-key
- Able to type 40 words per minute
- Experience with MS Outlook, Word and Excel
- Agency license (Property & Casualty)
- Basic understanding of NFIP (National Flood Insurance Program) Program a plus
- College degree a plus
- Bilingual a plus