The DevOps Engineer is tasked with the design, development, and administration of continuous integration and deployment solutions for applications and software, meeting the Assurant enterprise standards. They support the creation of new technology infrastructures and maintain software configuration, automation tools, and develop automation processes and standards. This will be a fully remote position.
The DevOps Engineer has focused areas of Accountability and Responsibility noted below:.
Design and Development: The DevOps Engineer is charged with building and optimizing comprehensive automation systems that operate across assigned line(s) of business at Assurant. They also implement scaling strategies and develop automation scripts and solutions for the purpose of streamlining, implementing, and testing software-based technology services. The DevOps Engineer additionally develops self-service solutions for the engineering departments to deliver software-based technology services with great speed and quality. They are also responsible for the architecture and technical leadership of the DevOps infrastructure. Azure DevOps and Azure DevOps API experience is a must.
Training: The DevOps Engineer conducts training for any staff Engineers and other engineering teams on how to build software defined/driven processes in code. The DevOps Engineer plays an operational role by troubleshooting issues in systems and leveraging those issues as vehicles for teaching other members of the staff.
Strategy: The DevOps Engineer enables automation of configuration management for all development, quality assurance, user acceptance, pre-production and production services as well as the automation of continuous integration and continuous delivery of IaC services. The Engineer is also tasked with recommending software deployment strategies that allow DevOps engineers to successfully deploy software and services in any environment. They are responsible for the updating configuration management tools, code, and modules for the purpose of streamlining implementation and supportability.
Collaboration and Support : The role of the DevOps Engineer is a collaborative role where they assist more junior members of various teams in the usage of technologies for software development, software testing, service provisioning, and service management. The DevOps Engineer also leverages the workings of reusable tools and patterns, for example, reusable code and CI/CD pipeline tasks. They also support engineering teams in the implementation and lifecycle of infrastructure solutions and operational documentation to meet the highest levels of quality and standards.
Knowledge: The DevOps Engineer is further tasked with keeping up with and implementing industry best practices and trends on behalf of the DevOps department. They conduct research, tests, and implements new metrics collection systems that can be reused and applied to software-based technology services and application development projects. The role is seen as a practitioner of emerging and transformational technologies and ways of working.
Expected to provide technical leadership on efforts to uplift development teams through a Dojo or Center of Excellence
- Peer reviewing
- Participate in Dojo’s
- Participate in Vendor engagements
- Assist with managing software agreements and annual renewals
- Tracking to budgetary line items for software, services, and support
- Ensuring proper and compliant use of software assets
- Recommending cost avoidance and cost savings technology strategies
- Reviews Processes to look for ways to automate or improve automation to reduce cost and improve reliability
Education: The DevOps Engineer must have a bachelor’s degree in computer science or any other relevant STEM field. An equivalent of the same in working experience is also acceptable for this position in lieu of formal education.
Technology/Software: A candidate for this position must be technologically adept and have demonstrated enterprise level computer infrastructure and software development skills. The candidate must have a solid understanding of Azure Cloud and AWS Platforms. The candidate must also have worked with monitoring tools such as Dynatrace, NewRelic, CloudWatch, Azure Monitor, and Nimsoft.
Environment/Physical Demands : This position requires incumbents to regularly sit at a desk and operate standard office equipment such as a computer and phone. Employee is occasionally required to stand and walk, lift, carry and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to talk and hear. Required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or any other relevant STEM field, or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in operations support and/or application development.
- IaaS and PaaS technologies
- Knowledge of infrastructure security, platform, authentication, and networking requirements
- Understanding of SAFe or Scrum processes
- Familiarity with Microsoft Azure, AWS and on-premises and cloud infrastructure platforms
- Support, administration, and automation of application containerization and Microservices
- Experience with software configuration management and/or release automation tools (Ansible)
- Experience delivering business-centric, integrated technology solutions at an international scale
- Deep understanding of technology trends and a broad knowledge of technology products and vendors
- Exposure to multiple, diverse technical configurations, technologies, and processing environments.
- Exceptional written, verbal and presentation skills to communicate to peers, management, and business unit staff
- Knowledge of IT systems technology developments and trends
- Familiarity with leveraging the following tool chain for DevOps including but not limited to:
- Azure DevOps
- Azure and related platforms and technologies (Cosmos DB, Application Insights, SQL PaaS, etc.)
- PowerShell and PowerShell DSC
- Microsoft Service Fabric
- Additional DevOps Experience a plus on any of the following disciplines:
- CI/CD - ADO, Maven, Jenkins, etc.
- Configuration management and orchestration tools, such as Ansible, Chef, Terraform
- Container orchestration tools, such as Kubernetes, Mesos, or Swarm
- Use of the Atlassian stack (Jira, etc.)
- Broad and deep understanding of cloud and-on premise infrastructure including operating systems, networking, security and authentication, storage, and monitoring
- Ability to script and automate processes using PowerShell, Python, and other popular scripting languages
- Experience with development and the software development life cycle
- Experience with common system integration and services frameworks such as SOA
- Experience participating in a diverse team setting
- Experience in mentoring and educating fellow technology staff members
- Ability to manage reporting and metrics for a small set of work efforts
- Budgets, Contracts, and Vendor Management
Communication Skills: The DevOps Engineer will need to have robust and mature communication skills that allow him/her to effectively execute their duties across all levels of the organizational structures. Effective communication is expected when working with more junior DevOps team members, socializing ideas, designs, and concepts with peers, and presenting summarized information to higher level management and leadership.
Interpersonal Skills: A candidate for this position must be a result oriented individual, be helpful in nature, be self-motivated, be proactive going beyond the call of duty, be a creative and strategic thinker, be highly analytical, work comfortably in a constantly evolving environment, work comfortably in a collaborative environment, have an ability to multi-task and meet tight deadlines, and have an ability to remain calm in the face of uncertainty and stress.
Collaborative People Skills: The DevOps Engineer must be a people person who is able to form strong and meaningful relationships with others. They must be trustworthy, likable, and relatable individuals who inspire confidence at all levels of the organization regarding their insights, judgments, and directives.
Any posted pay range considers a wide range of compensation factors, including candidate background, experience, and work location, while also allowing for salary growth within the position.
Helping People Thrive in a Connected World
Connect with us. Bring us your best work and your brightest ideas. And we’ll bring you a place where you can thrive. Learn more at jobs.assurant.com.
For U.S. benefit information, visit myassurantbenefits.com. For benefit information outside the U.S., please speak with your recruiter.
What’s the culture like at Assurant?
Our unique culture is a big reason why talented people choose Assurant. Named a Best/Great Place to Work in 13 countries and awarded the Fortune America’s Most Innovative Companies recognition in 2023, we bring together top talent around the world. Although we have a wide variety of skills and experiences, we share common characteristics that are uniquely Assurant. A passion for service. An ability to innovate in practical ways. And a willingness to take chances. We call our culture The Assurant Way.
Assurant is a leading global business services company that supports, protects, and connects major consumer purchases. A Fortune 500 company with a presence in 21 countries, Assurant supports the advancement of the connected world by partnering with the world’s leading brands to develop innovative solutions and deliver an enhanced customer experience through mobile device solutions, extended service contracts, vehicle protection services, renters insurance, lender-placed insurance products, and other specialty products.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Assurant is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and does not use or consider race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law in employment decisions.