Director, Financial Services Claims
Overview of Position
The Director of Claims is responsible for Financial Services claims team and support functions to deliver business results. This role establishes standards for claims performance and will lead the execution of claims processing and optimization. This role is also responsible for leading execution of change management, claims strategies, employee development and technology adoption as well as drive execution of operational risk management, regulatory compliance training, and procedures across multiple teams.
What will be my duties and responsibilities in this job?
• Lead creation of short – and long-term roadmap planning process to meet organization goals, identifying important resources and requirements to meet plans’ goals.
• Evaluates in detail current claims operations from start to finish and analyze processes to identify and design process improvement strategies.
• Establish and set checks to ensure best practice principles around claims processing are being followed.
• Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and implements measures to maintain claim performance.
• Ensures risks associated with business activities are effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
• Oversee monitoring of claims processing to ensure that claims processing meets performance metrics around quality, for customer and client satisfaction.
• Work with internal technology partners to guarantee a coordinated approach in leadership of claims processing, training, performance monitoring, system and process optimization and technology.
• Maintain responsibility for the continuous improvement of claims processing procedures and ensure adherence to established claims operations procedures.
• Be the point person on claims remediation plans and ensuring teams follow best practice principles around claims processing and policy/process to affect organizational change to improve efficiency and quality.
• Follows written risk and compliance policies, standards, and procedures for business activities.
• Responsible for achievement of assigned goals, objectives, and scorecard deliverables.
• Plans, organizes, and controls the resources to deliver the appropriate claims service.
• Identifies trends and develops action plans as appropriate.
• Understands, researches, and works to influence the financial impact for their respective business area.
• Inspires a high-performance team that works to deliver exceptional experiences to the members and achieve exceptional results.
• Creates conditions for success removes obstacles, leads and champions change.
Leadership and Culture
• Leads claims operations teams to meet client needs and drive the LOBs strategic initiatives
• Selects, develops, leads, and holds managers accountable for serving members and providing appropriate solutions through their teams.
• Consistently coaches managers on leading their teams on claims handling, inspecting, and reviewing quality of claims and responding to escalations.
• Drive development by holding managers accountable for functional and leadership coaching and encouraging associate development planning
• Build a superior operations service delivery team by a) assessing, developing, and engaging outstanding talent; b) evaluating existing claims management and ensuring they are operating effectively, addressing technical and leadership gaps in performance.
• Identify and orchestrate talent mobility to develop and retain talent with cross-capability and line of business knowledge
• Accountable for managing cost centers
• Develops and maintain or participate in performance dashboards for assigned lines of business
• Accountable for achieving efficiency targets
What are the requirements needed for this position?
• Bachelor’s degree or 4 years of related experience (in addition to the minimum years of experience required) may be substituted in lieu of degree.
• 8 years leading business or operational teams to include 6 years of claim experience required with demonstrated proficiency.
• 8 years of leading people and/or projects
• Demonstrated team leadership, cross-functional collaboration, building business solutions and/or claim accountabilities
What other skills/experience would be helpful to have?
• Demonstrated ability to drive change, excellence in communication, and lead teams through transformation.
• Drive to enable both the management of ongoing business while also evaluating the continuous improvement of claims operations processes
• Exceptional relationship-building experience with the ability to listen, build rapport, and credibility with peers and as a partner vertically within the business unit, as well as with leadership and capability teams
• Knowledge of fundamental information technologies and the ability to use people, processes, and technology to improve efficiencies and effectiveness
• Proven ability to effectively lead, partner and communicate with various levels of the organization to define and execute cross-functional business objectives
• Highly developed communication skills in writing, speaking, and presenting. Ability and comfort with working at executive levels
• Ability to influence and break down silos within an organization as well across organizations using personal rather than positional power
• Must demonstrate acumen in business and capabilities that support the business
• Accepts ownership and accountability for results
What are the working conditions and physical requirements of this job?
General office demands. Must be in-office / on-site as needed
How much should I expect to travel?
$114,400.00 - $191,000.00
Any posted pay range considers a wide range of compensation factors, including candidate background, experience, and work location, while also allowing for salary growth within the position.
Helping People Thrive in a Connected World
We work with the world’s top brands to make smart devices simpler. Vehicles last longer. Homes more secure. Problems easier to solve. And we volunteer in communities all over the globe to help the world become a greener, better place. We come from a variety of countries, cultures, and backgrounds. But we’re united by our enduring values of common sense, common decency, uncommon thinking, and uncommon results. So connect with us. Bring us your best work and your brightest ideas. And we’ll bring you a place where you can thrive. Learn more at jobs.assurant.com.
For U.S. benefit information, visit myassurantbenefits.com. For benefit information outside the U.S., please speak with your recruiter.
Our Culture Defined
Our unique culture is a big reason why talented people choose Assurant and why they tend to stay. Although we have a wide variety of skills and experiences, we share common characteristics that are uniquely Assurant. A passion for service. An ability to innovate in practical ways. And a willingness to take chances. We believe that staying on top doesn’t mean sacrificing our values. We believe clarity of vision and a sense of purpose will carry us forward. And we take charge of our own success. We call it The Assurant Way.
Assurant is a leading global business services company that supports, protects, and connects major consumer purchases. A Fortune 500 company with a presence in 21 countries, Assurant supports the advancement of the connected world by partnering with the world’s leading brands to develop innovative solutions and deliver an enhanced customer experience through mobile device solutions, extended service contracts, vehicle protection services, renters insurance, lender-placed insurance products, and other specialty products.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Assurant is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and does not use or consider race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law in employment decisions.