Do you have ideas and the passion for technology? Do you want to be in a place where you can inspire and drive change? Do you want to be part of the Assurant’s journey to make this planet a better and greener place? If the answer is yes, we are looking for people like you to come and join us and help solve complex engineering problems. We are rebuilding the engineering group to pivot from current architecture to a service’s centric organization in the cloud. To go where we want to go, we are looking for a solid, tech savvy Manager of Quality Assurance who can execute and take us to the next level.
Plans, organizes, leads, controls, coordinates and supervises activities of business systems analysis and quality assurance personnel, providing application code testing for initiatives, projects, and maintenance fixes. Responsible for quality assurance of code releases to production systems ensuring application quality and compliance. The role is integral to our Emerging Business Group that focuses on driving new business and solutions to our Clients and Prospects. This position reports to the Director of Software Engineering.
What Makes us different?
- Our Engineering team leverage modern cloud technologies to solve customer problems around the globe
- We value people who can bring a diverse perspective to our product and where a developer will not just write code but will have a real meaningful impact on the direction of the product
- Everyone is encouraged to come up with new ideas to make our customers’ lives better
- Our vision unites us. By living our purpose, values, and commitments, we’re working together toward a common goal; creating the future of Assurant
What will be my duties and responsibilities in this job?
- Participate in the development of short- and long- term goals and plans for the work group
- Provide effective leadership and management to Quality Assurance and Engineers
- Provide technical project management across parallel executions and releases
- Manage staff in globally distributed locations
- Partner with development and other areas of the organization on technical projects
- Create metrics and drive improvements into all areas of the organization
- Develop strategy around process improvements, staffing, and reporting
- Mentor senior engineers to ensure skills are adequate to perform in their assigned roles
- Coordinate the development, implementation and recording of suitable training programs to ensure awareness of best practices and compliance requirements
- Assist in the coordination of departmental administrative procedures, including performance planning and review, promotion planning, hiring etc.
- Provides leadership in the execution of effective testing of code functionality, as well as the technical leadership in regard to testing techniques
- Plan, write, execute and evaluate QA plans of code releases
- Document, track and report software defects following department standards and procedures
RESPONSIBILITY FOR WORK OF OTHERS
- Supervises the day-to-day work activities of Staff of ten (10) Team members / On Shore & Offshore
- Staff includes: QA Engineers & Senior QA Engineers (Automated, Performance & Manual)
- Provides input to decisions on personnel actions (hiring, terminations, promotions, etc.)
- Trains and develops staff, evaluates performance, and (when necessary) recommends discipline and discharge
- Provides the overall direction necessary to ensure the delivery of efficient and effective code releases
- Internal: Executive management, senior management, management, and staff
- External: Customer accounts, employment services, professional associations, suppliers/vendors
- Understands & works effectively in an Agile environment
What are the requirements needed for this position?
- Must have a minimum 10 years of professional experience in related field
- You are an agile champion that makes Dev, QA and DevOps work cohesively to deliver projects
- Must have experience in Test case management tools
- Must have experience in Agile tools, JIRA preferred
- Proven experience with Metrics, implementation and improvements
- Must have experience in Performance testing. Has done strategy, implementation and execution of open-source performance testing tools and monitoring tools
- Must have experience in automated testing. Has done automation development in past. Open-source tools preferred
- Must have experience in source-code management, Git preferred. Should be able to download and compile a project for execution if needed
- AWS experience is a must
- Must have experience in databases and caches
What other skills/experience would be helpful to have?
- Strong leadership & management experience
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to learn new applications
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to process time sensitive data and information from multiple sources, make decisions and communicate actions
- Ability to prioritize, organize and work independently or as part of a project team to complete multiple tasks
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Understands & works effectively in an Agile environment
- Master’s degree is a big plus
- QA Certifications are highly valued
- Previous leadership & management experience
- Knowledge: Human resource policies and procedures; organization, management, and business planning; understanding of software/hardware technology
What are the working conditions and physical requirement of this job?
We we are working virtually now. At some point in the future we will be working a 2 to 3 days in the office per week.
How much should I expect to travel?
Up to 10%
Helping People Thrive in a Connected World
We work with the world’s top brands to make smart devices simpler. Vehicles last longer. Homes more secure. Problems easier to solve. And we volunteer in communities all over the globe to help the world become a greener, better place. We come from a variety of countries, cultures and backgrounds. But we’re united by our enduring values of common sense, common decency, uncommon thinking and uncommon results. So connect with us. Bring us your best work and your brightest ideas. And we’ll bring you a place where you can thrive. Learn more at jobs.assurant.com.
For U.S. benefit information, visit myassurantbenefits.com. For benefit information outside the U.S., please speak with your recruiter.
Our Culture Defined
Our unique culture is a big reason why talented people choose Assurant and why they tend to stay. Although we have a wide variety of skills and experiences, we share common characteristics that are uniquely Assurant. A passion for service. An ability to innovate in practical ways. And a willingness to take chances. We believe that staying on top doesn’t mean sacrificing our values. We believe clarity of vision and a sense of purpose will carry us forward. And we take charge of our own success. We call it The Assurant Way.
Assurant is a leading global business services company that supports, protects and connects major consumer purchases. A Fortune 500 company with a presence in 21 countries, Assurant supports the advancement of the connected world by partnering with the world’s leading brands to develop innovative solutions and deliver an enhanced customer experience through mobile device solutions, extended service contracts, vehicle protection services, renters insurance, lender-placed insurance products and other specialty products.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Assurant is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and does not use or consider race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law in employment decisions.