Manager, Software Engineering
The Manager, Software Engineering is accountable for managing and coordinating resources and processes to deliver Production Operations releases, comprised of defect remediation and minor enhancements, that are fully aligned with the objectives established by senior business stakeholders. This person will also coordinate inter-departmental resources during improvement efforts or major-incident remediation; work closely with the product development team to ensure broad collaboration on design, fault-tolerance, and best practices; and assist in the management of third-party vendor relationships. This is a key role, supporting global clients.
What will be my duties and responsibilities in this job?
- Following a hybrid Kanban methodology, maintain effective execution of assignments throughout the group.
- Ensure that defect remediation, issues in production, and major incidents are addressed effectively per established SLA’s.
- Work closely with the Business Product Owners and Technical Product Owners to ensure the team has appropriate product and technical specifications, directions, and resources to deliver releases based on realistic estimates and timelines and ensure that deadlines are consistently met.
- Ensure all aspects of the “lifecycle” are adhered to and auditable.
- Provide leadership and guidance to coach, motivate, and lead team members to their optimum performance levels and career development.
- Provide system metrics and SLA reporting for internal and client-facing consumption.
- Facilitate the translation of business requirements into technical needs and actions
- All aspects of supervising independent software contractors, software engineers and outsourcing partners
- Maintain a process for transitioning responsibility from the Development Team to the Production Operations Team before the production release “warranty period” expires.
- Work closely with the Product Owners to understand the system’s functional and non-functional requirements.
- Supervise training and development of software engineering staff, promoting continued professional development.
- Ensure software engineering personnel are suitably trained to perform all job function and suitably use project and software related tools.
What are the requirements needed for this position?
- 3+ years in an engineering management role with direct experience supervising a software engineering/development team.
- 3+ years directing or participating in Agile/Scrum or Kanban development methodologies.
- Solid leadership, project management, time management, and problem-solving skills.
- Understanding of cloud hosting, SaaS or PaaS. (Experience with the Salesforce Service Cloud a significant plus.)
- Demonstrated ability to manage software releases from development to QA to UAT to Production.
What other skills/experience would be helpful to have?
- Experience developing or working with Salesforce Service Cloud a significant plus.
- Experience working with Informatica and/or Mulesoft workflows/APIs a strong plus.
- Experience working with a distributed team.
- Experience working in Production Support or Production Operations.
- Good communication skills; able to translate business requirements into technical needs and actions.
- Willingness to dive into software environments and technical issues.
- Self-motivated, team player, action and results oriented.
What are the working conditions and physical requirements of this job?
General office demands
This is a remote position.
Helping People Thrive in a Connected World
We work with the world’s top brands to make smart devices simpler. Vehicles last longer. Homes more secure. Problems easier to solve. And we volunteer in communities all over the globe to help the world become a greener, better place. We come from a variety of countries, cultures and backgrounds. But we’re united by our enduring values of common sense, common decency, uncommon thinking and uncommon results. So connect with us. Bring us your best work and your brightest ideas. And we’ll bring you a place where you can thrive. Learn more at jobs.assurant.com.
For U.S. benefit information, visit myassurantbenefits.com. For benefit information outside the U.S., please speak with your recruiter.
Our Culture Defined
Our unique culture is a big reason why talented people choose Assurant and why they tend to stay. Although we have a wide variety of skills and experiences, we share common characteristics that are uniquely Assurant. A passion for service. An ability to innovate in practical ways. And a willingness to take chances. We believe that staying on top doesn’t mean sacrificing our values. We believe clarity of vision and a sense of purpose will carry us forward. And we take charge of our own success. We call it The Assurant Way.
Assurant is a leading global business services company that supports, protects and connects major consumer purchases. A Fortune 500 company with a presence in 21 countries, Assurant supports the advancement of the connected world by partnering with the world’s leading brands to develop innovative solutions and deliver an enhanced customer experience through mobile device solutions, extended service contracts, vehicle protection services, renters insurance, lender-placed insurance products and other specialty products.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Assurant is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and does not use or consider race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law in employment decisions.