Assurant Labs is looking for a mobile engineer who can lead technical initiatives, explore novel problems, and contribute to the development of other team members. In this role, you will work as an engineer for a cross-functional product team to evolve the Pocket Geek Home mobile application. The app is written in React Native with some native Android and iOS, and our ideal candidate has deep experience in both Android and React Native. While a lot of the work will be in React Native, we need someone who has a strong foundation in the Android ecosystem.
Responsibilities include solving problems independently, researching and experimenting with new technology and UX designs, and helping our wider engineering team manage the evolution of our team skills and tech stack. Candidates must have strong communication skills and a desire to operate with a deep focus on individual tasks or as an effective collaborator when the team needs help.
What will be my duties and responsibilities in this job?
- Build scalable, highly reliable product features for Android and iOS versions of our app
- Design, implement and maintain components used by both mobile and web clients (think React Native for Web)
- Create and maintain documentation pertaining to architecture and engineering processes
- Work in a collaborative environment by occasional pair and/or mob programming
- Communicate with Engineering Managers and Product Owners to plan and prioritize work and design technical solutions
- Work in a cadence of two-week sprints with daily stand-ups, team planning events, and bi-weekly retrospectives
- Conduct system design and code reviews
- Participate in mentoring and skills transfer among team members
What are the requirements needed for this position?
- Hands-on knowledge of a version control system such as Git
- Minimum 1 year of professional work experince in a corporate IT environment
- Experience consuming RESTful APIs
- A disciplined approach to development, testing, and quality assurance
- A desire for a deep technical understanding of our systems and architecture
- A continuous learning mindset that keeps you current on development best practices and trends
- Effectively communicate technical designs and considerations to peers and product leadership
- Ability to own tasks and resolve ambiguity in requirements
- Ability to factor in new information as it relates to priorities and in-flight work
- Balance trade-offs between speed and quality based on business priorities
What other skills/experience would be helpful to have?
- Experience with mobile development for iOS using Swift
- Experience with mobile development for Android
- Experience with GraphQL
- Experience with testing frameworks like XCTest, Espresso, or Detox
- Experience with React Native for Web
What are the working conditions and physical requirements of this job?
General office demands
Helping People Thrive in a Connected World
We work with the world’s top brands to make smart devices simpler. Vehicles last longer. Homes more secure. Problems easier to solve. And we volunteer in communities all over the globe to help the world become a greener, better place. We come from a variety of countries, cultures and backgrounds. But we’re united by our enduring values of common sense, common decency, uncommon thinking and uncommon results. So connect with us. Bring us your best work and your brightest ideas. And we’ll bring you a place where you can thrive. Learn more at jobs.assurant.com.
For U.S. benefit information, visit myassurantbenefits.com. For benefit information outside the U.S., please speak with your recruiter.
Our Culture Defined
Our unique culture is a big reason why talented people choose Assurant and why they tend to stay. Although we have a wide variety of skills and experiences, we share common characteristics that are uniquely Assurant. A passion for service. An ability to innovate in practical ways. And a willingness to take chances. We believe that staying on top doesn’t mean sacrificing our values. We believe clarity of vision and a sense of purpose will carry us forward. And we take charge of our own success. We call it The Assurant Way.
Assurant is a leading global business services company that supports, protects and connects major consumer purchases. A Fortune 500 company with a presence in 21 countries, Assurant supports the advancement of the connected world by partnering with the world’s leading brands to develop innovative solutions and deliver an enhanced customer experience through mobile device solutions, extended service contracts, vehicle protection services, renters insurance, lender-placed insurance products and other specialty products.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Assurant is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and does not use or consider race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law in employment decisions.