This is a remote position. Candidate should be able to work eastern time zone hours. Minimal travel, less than 10%.
The Assurant Risk Management team is seeking a Manager of Operational Risk. Your primary responsibility is providing expert advice, credible challenge and effective oversight of operational risk to identify, assess, control, and manage risk throughout the company globally. The position supports the VP of Technology & Cyber Risk in guiding the Operational Risk related behaviors and actions within the company and will oversee the Risk Management Risk Analytics team.
You will play a critical role in helping to ensure that the company’s risk-taking entities are aware of the risks inherent in their activities and decisions, the impact of their actions on the company at an enterprise level, and opportunities to reduce, mitigate and monitor operational risks.
About the role
You will be responsible for oversight and effective challenge of enterprise Operational Risk, on global scale.
This will include:
o Establish and support the implementation of the Operational Risk framework, corresponding standards, and risk assessment protocols
o Maintain appropriate governance activities including Operational Risk Oversight and Operational Risk profile & reporting
o Maintain business level procedural documents to support the implementation of the Operational Risk framework
o Support the documentation and analysis of operational risk events; prepare materials to support the escalation of events to business leaders and the company’s Operational Risk Management Committee, as appropriate
o Create and monitor appropriate Key Risk Indicators to proactively identify exposures or control weaknesses along Key Risk metrics to monitor ongoing exposure.
- Support the effectiveness of the enterprise risk management program through appropriate behaviors and actions.
- Provide subject matter expertise and lead relevant activities for the areas of Operational Risk.
- Create, curate and maintain robust and coherent reporting to provide board, senior management and risk management with important insight into the risks present in the company through the leadership of the Risk Management Risk Analytics function, designing and implementing appropriate business intelligence reports and risk metrics.
- As part of risk management (2nd line of defense) this role will collaborate closely with associates across Enterprise Risk, Information Technology, Information Security, the Business Segments and Corporate Functions including Compliance, Finance, Vendor Management and other risk management offices to perform and support evaluations of the firm’s maturity levels, operational resiliency and offer independent advice and recommendations regarding ways to further mature the firm’s operational resiliency risk capabilities and risk management techniques
- You will contribute to the identification and analysis of new or emerging Operational Risks to the company, and aid in integrating capabilities maturity assessment activities with other risk management programs across the enterprise
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- 5 + years of experience in Risk Management with a solid knowledge of Operational Risk or control related background within the Banking or financial services industries.
- Ability to communicate clearly and to interact effectively at all levels of the organization, and to influence as warranted and appropriate
- Manage multiple projects while maintaining superior results
- Work cross functionally, individually, and to lead work among a team
- Execution oriented and a self-motivator
- Strong analytical, problem solving and delivery capabilities
- 3+ yrs of demonstrated leadership experience
- Ability to ask the “right” questions without having extensive knowledge in a particular business area
- Ability to be successful in an ambiguous environment
- Experience with the Service Now’s GRC module & reporting capabilities, Power BI & Tableau is a plus
- Prefer Risk Management Professional Certifications
- Demonstrated experience in Information Technology or Information Management Risk Management is a bonus