This job is responsible for supporting, and in some instances leading, multiple activities, such as legislative implementation, program adherence testing, privacy education, and incident management, under Assurant’s Privacy Program with minimal oversight and a high degree of independence.
- Identify, track, and summarize applicable privacy and data security laws in the U.S. and, if requested, internationally and lead implementation oversight efforts - 35%
- Utilizing the framework developed by the Privacy Officers, lead or co-lead privacy assessments, risk mitigation, metric development, tracking and reporting and ongoing compliance monitoring activities - 35%
- Support Privacy Officers in the review and drafting of Privacy Program policies and procedures – 5%
- Related to the above responsibilities, perform project management including but not limited to drafting/maintaining project plans and tracking tasks and deliverables.
- Facilitate and promote activities to foster privacy awareness within the organization, including the development of the privacy training – 15%
- Support others in the Privacy Office to track, investigate, and assist in responding to privacy/security incidents and complaints in a manner that accurately documents the incident and the subsequent remediation - 5%
- Assist in responding to inquiries and audits from outside parties, including regulators, clients, and customers - 5%
- Minimum 3 years of experience directly supporting a corporate privacy or information security program.
- Minimum 5 years of experience conducting statutory/regulatory research for a regulated industry with demonstrated experience translating complex regulatory subject matter into understandable content in a business environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree, Paralegal or Law Degree
- 5+ year background in privacy or information security
- CIPP Certified
- Extensive legislative research and investigative skills, including Westlaw familiarity.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to independently issue spot and suggest solutions with a high degree of integrity
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Comfortable interacting with all levels of the organization
- Be able to thrive in a fast paced, matrixed environment by being flexible and willing to adapt to changing priorities comfortably
- Likes working in a collaborative environment on a small, highly, engaged team
- Strong project management skills and key participant in at least two significant regulatory implementation projects.
- Understanding and ability to communicate in fundamental technical terms
- Knowledge of basic IT security helpful
- Confidence and ability to work independently on a variety of privacy program priorities.
- Well-developed knowledge of privacy and cybersecurity laws such as GDPR, CCPA, NYDFS Cybersecurity Rule
Helping People Thrive in a Connected World
We work with the world’s top brands to make smart devices simpler. Vehicles last longer. Homes more secure. Problems easier to solve. And we volunteer in communities all over the globe to help the world become a greener, better place. We come from a variety of countries, cultures, and backgrounds. But we’re united by our enduring values of common sense, common decency, uncommon thinking, and uncommon results. So connect with us. Bring us your best work and your brightest ideas. And we’ll bring you a place where you can thrive. Learn more at jobs.assurant.com.
For U.S. benefit information, visit myassurantbenefits.com. For benefit information outside the U.S., please speak with your recruiter.
Our Culture Defined
Our unique culture is a big reason why talented people choose Assurant and why they tend to stay. Although we have a wide variety of skills and experiences, we share common characteristics that are uniquely Assurant. A passion for service. An ability to innovate in practical ways. And a willingness to take chances. We believe that staying on top doesn’t mean sacrificing our values. We believe clarity of vision and a sense of purpose will carry us forward. And we take charge of our own success. We call it The Assurant Way.
Assurant is a leading global business services company that supports, protects, and connects major consumer purchases. A Fortune 500 company with a presence in 21 countries, Assurant supports the advancement of the connected world by partnering with the world’s leading brands to develop innovative solutions and deliver an enhanced customer experience through mobile device solutions, extended service contracts, vehicle protection services, renters insurance, lender-placed insurance products, and other specialty products.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Assurant is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and does not use or consider race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law in employment decisions.