Why work with Assurant?
We work with the world’s top brands to make smart devices simpler. With over a century of experience, our unwavering commitment to excellence has allowed us to build strong partnerships across various industries.
When you join Assurant you will be part of a community that cares. A diverse and supportive team culture will see you challenge yourself and motivate you to think out of the box.
We come from a variety of countries, cultures, and backgrounds, but we are united by our enduring values of common sense, common decency, uncommon thinking, and uncommon results. So connect with us. Bring us your best work and your brightest ideas, and we’ll bring you a place where you can thrive.
What's the role about?
The Senior Legal Counsel is responsible for all legal matters throughout Australia, and as a member of the Senior Leadership team you will work closely across the lines of business to structure, draft and negotiate legal arrangements. You'll also be a support for the corporate governance function (board & shareholder meetings), liaise with the regional APAC and US head office, and be responsible for managing outside counsel.
- Knows and applies fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the Australian legal and regulatory environment
- Draft, negotiate and review commercial contracts with stakeholders, third party clients and service providers
- Assess risks associated with particular contract provisions. Provide alternative contract language or provisions to allow for appropriate development of business practices & procedures
- Advise on a variety of moderately complex legal issues, trends and risks impacting operational practices and relationships with outside parties
- Provision of robust and commercial advice having regard to the best interests of the group’s business
- Develop and adapt legal precedents to ensure they reflect the contemporary legal, regulatory and corporate environment.
- Advise business stakeholders on commercial matters and operational issues;
- Proactively advise management on legal risks affecting the group’s businesses, the impact of those risks and measures to mitigate those risks
- Research, analyze and determine effects of statutes, regulations and judicial and regulatory opinions on business practices and procedures
- Manage key internal relationships with relevant stakeholders, and key external relationships including external lawyers
- Adopt an appropriate balance of commercial pragmatism and legal control to secure effective outcomes
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of all relevant areas of the law and legal developments generally including all related continuing professional development requirements
Does this sound like you?
- Minimum 5-7+ years post admission experience in corporate commercial law from a reputable firm or corporate environment and hold a current Australian Practising Certificate
- Minimum 2 experience in financial services, insurance, telecommunication or retail industries
- Excellent legal drafting skills, specifically skills in drafting and negotiating commercial agreements
- Sound business instincts demonstrated by the ability to make practical recommendations.
- Ability to recognise and address the wider implications of transactions to ensure that the group’s best interests are served
- Ability to manage workload efficiently and give priority to appropriate matters
- Ability to evaluate fact situations, identify legal issues, locate applicable legal authority, analyse and understand statutes, regulations and case law and recommend appropriate and defensible courses of action.
Some of the benefits we offer to our team members include:
- Wellbeing programs – meditation, mindfulness and wellbeing
- Development programs & LinkedIn learning courses as well as study grants and support for higher education
- Local and International Mentoring programs
- Employee Share Purchase Program
- Diversity panels and employee resource groups
- Cultural day off to celebrate what’s important to you
- Volunteering opportunities to give back to a cause that is important to you
If you are a fit for this role, provide your resume and a cover letter detailing your experience and interest in the role to our Talent Acquisition team. The successful applicant will be subject to relevant background checks such as reference checks and a police check.
At Assurant, we celebrate the differences that make us who we are. By assembling extraordinary teams from a variety of races, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, experiences, and abilities, we’re able to better reflect the global communities where we live and work. By working to remove barriers, we ensure equity for everyone. The pursuit of inclusion rests with each of us. Because it’s only by listening to and representing the unique voices of every individual that we can innovate for all.
For further information about Assurant, please visit our website: https://www.assurant.com/
Any posted pay range considers a wide range of compensation factors, including candidate background, experience, and work location, while also allowing for salary growth within the position.
Helping People Thrive in a Connected World
Connect with us. Bring us your best work and your brightest ideas. And we’ll bring you a place where you can thrive. Learn more at jobs.assurant.com.
For U.S. benefit information, visit myassurantbenefits.com. For benefit information outside the U.S., please speak with your recruiter.
What’s the culture like at Assurant?
Our unique culture is a big reason why talented people choose Assurant. Named a Best/Great Place to Work in 13 countries and awarded the Fortune America’s Most Innovative Companies recognition in 2023, we bring together top talent around the world. Although we have a wide variety of skills and experiences, we share common characteristics that are uniquely Assurant. A passion for service. An ability to innovate in practical ways. And a willingness to take chances. We call our culture The Assurant Way.
Assurant is a leading global business services company that supports, protects, and connects major consumer purchases. A Fortune 500 company with a presence in 21 countries, Assurant supports the advancement of the connected world by partnering with the world’s leading brands to develop innovative solutions and deliver an enhanced customer experience through mobile device solutions, extended service contracts, vehicle protection services, renters insurance, lender-placed insurance products, and other specialty products.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Assurant is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and does not use or consider race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law in employment decisions.