Why work with Assurant?
Everyone at Assurant, no matter their role, their skills, or where they’re located around the world is united by our uncompromising values. That’s why we created a culture where you’re free to bring thoughtful, caring attention to each customer or client, internally or externally. Whatever your position, your innovative thinking, common sense, integrity and actionable solutions, can make a real difference.
With more than 100 years industry expertise, we are trusted by over 300 million consumers worldwide and we handle more than 16.6 million unique policies across the automotive, appliance and technology, home and financial service industries.
The Senior Legal Counsel is responsible for all legal matters throughout Australia. They will be the legal advisor and member of the country management team, work closely with the business units to structure, draft and negotiate legal arrangements as well as Compliance and Risk function to advise on risk management issues, support the corporate governance function (board, shareholder meetings), liaise with APAC regional and US head office, and manage outside counsel. The Senior Legal Counsel will provide the analysis of regulatory/commercial/corporate issues by identifying and mitigating legal risks related to the Company’s business in service warranty, insurance, supply chain and device disposition in Australia.
Primary Job Accountabilities/ Responsibilities
- Knows and applies fundamental legal concepts, practices and procedures with the Australian insurance regulatory environment
- Advise on a variety of moderately complex legal issues, trends and risks impacting operational practices and relationships with outside parties
- Research, analyze and determine effects of statutes, regulations and judicial and regulatory opinions on business practices and procedures.
- Analyze, revise, edit, approve, create, prepare and/or negotiate form or stand-alone contracts to reflect current or changing business or legal needs
- Assess risks associated with particular contract provisions. Provide alternative contract language or provisions to allow for appropriate development of business practices & procedures
- Lead and manage external legal counsel relationships as/where required
- Builds credibility and trust with senior management team in Australia and stakeholders in and outside of Australia
- Collaborates with others effectively in a remote/hybrid working environment both within and across Assurant businesses, establishing and maintaining productive working relationships to deliver results
- At least 10 years + post admission experience in corporate commercial law from a reputable firm or corporate environment.
- Must be qualified in Australia, with preference for Victoria or New South Wales.
- Prefer 2-4 years of experience in service warranty, insurance, telecom or retail industries, or supply chain management or other area of growth for Assurant.
- Open to candidates with other experience in other industries.
- Clear, effective oral and written communications skills in English.
- Sound business instincts demonstrated by the ability to make practical recommendations
- Ability to evaluate fact situations, identify legal issues, locate applicable legal authority, analyze and understand statutes, regulations and case law and recommend appropriate and defensible courses of action.
- Adapt to adversarial circumstances and environments.
Why Join Us?
When you join Assurant you will be part of a community that cares. A fun, diverse and supportive team culture will see you challenge yourself and motivate you to think out of the box.
We pride ourselves on providing a great workplace for every one of our people. In order to achieve this we offer:
- Employee share purchase plans
- Cultural day off to celebrate what’s important to you
- Wellbeing programs – meditation, mindfulness
- Development programs & LinkedIn learning courses as well as study grants and support for higher education
- Mentoring programs with Senior Leaders & Executives
- Diversity panels and employee resource groups
- Coffee catch-ups, virtual quizzes, and events
- Country & regional rewards and recognition
Please submit your resume accompanied by a cover letter detailing your experiences and suitability for the role.
The successful applicant will be subject to relevant background checks such as reference checks and a police check.
At Assurant, we celebrate the differences that make us who we are. By assembling extraordinary teams from a variety of races, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, experiences, and abilities, we’re able to better reflect the global communities where we live and work. By working to remove barriers, we ensure equity for everyone. The pursuit of inclusion rests with each of us. Because it’s only by listening to and representing the unique voices of every individual that we can innovate for all.
Helping People Thrive in a Connected World
We work with the world’s top brands to make smart devices simpler. Vehicles last longer. Homes more secure. Problems easier to solve. And we volunteer in communities all over the globe to help the world become a greener, better place. We come from a variety of countries, cultures, and backgrounds. But we’re united by our enduring values of common sense, common decency, uncommon thinking, and uncommon results. So connect with us. Bring us your best work and your brightest ideas. And we’ll bring you a place where you can thrive. Learn more at jobs.assurant.com.
For U.S. benefit information, visit myassurantbenefits.com. For benefit information outside the U.S., please speak with your recruiter.
Our Culture Defined
Our unique culture is a big reason why talented people choose Assurant and why they tend to stay. Although we have a wide variety of skills and experiences, we share common characteristics that are uniquely Assurant. A passion for service. An ability to innovate in practical ways. And a willingness to take chances. We believe that staying on top doesn’t mean sacrificing our values. We believe clarity of vision and a sense of purpose will carry us forward. And we take charge of our own success. We call it The Assurant Way.
Assurant is a leading global business services company that supports, protects, and connects major consumer purchases. A Fortune 500 company with a presence in 21 countries, Assurant supports the advancement of the connected world by partnering with the world’s leading brands to develop innovative solutions and deliver an enhanced customer experience through mobile device solutions, extended service contracts, vehicle protection services, renters insurance, lender-placed insurance products, and other specialty products.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Assurant is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and does not use or consider race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law in employment decisions.