Experienced, self-motivated Scrum Master will have the ability to achieve broadly communicated objectives under a minimal amount of supervision. Scrum Masters provide effective collaboration, facilitation, leadership and coaching skills to the agile development process and delivery of applications, as well as enforcing the agile tenants, removing impediments, and promoting empowerment.
This is a remote position.
Understand the difference between Agile and Scrum and be able to articulate it
Provide team with resources, information, communication, and practical advice to enable the team to regularly deliver working software
Facilitates: Daily scrum (stand-up), release and sprint planning sessions, Sprint review (demo) and Sprint retrospective. Ensure all participants understand the ceremony's purpose and keep to the time-box.
Track and communicate team velocity and sprint/release progress
Foster and encourage conversations and collaboration - both inside and outside of team – allowing them to self-organize
Identify and remove impediments, prevent distractions that interfere with the ability of the team to deliver the sprint goal
Understand and be able to articulate strategic and product planning and goals in the team's environment and progress toward them
Supports Product Owner ensuring the product backlog is properly refined – prioritizing to maximize value and using creative techniques for elaborating user stories to be ready for the upcoming 1-2 sprints.
Assist team with making appropriate commitments through story selection, task definition
Ensure team understands the need for clear and concise Product Backlog items and achieve this through techniques such as user story slicing and acceptance criteria
Proactively manage dependencies
Update agile tracking systems to provide transparency on Product & Sprint Backlogs
Recommend improvements and assist in changes to best practice
Participate in the agile community both internal to Assurant and external with other practitioners
Enforces the values and principles of Agile by focusing on continuous learning and feedback loops
- Certified Scrum Master (CSM) or Professional Scrum Master (PSM) Industry certification Required or Scaled Agile Scrum Master (SAFe SSM)
- 4+ years of experience as a Scrum Master for software development teams
- Agile experience within a multi-team organization
- Experience working with distributed, virtual teams
- Excellent communication, facilitation, and coaching skills
- Advanced understanding of Agile practices such as: retrospectives, daily standups, sprint planning, burn down techniques
- Experience with agile team tools such as ADO, Jira, VersionOne or TFS
- Ability to collaborate and exercise influence without authority
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher preferred
- Knowledge of other project management methodologies a plus
- Insurance industry experience a plus
- Participation in industry agile communities of practice desired
- SAFe, PI Planning, Agile Coach, Release Planning preferred