Technical Accountant – 12 months fixed Term
Crewe / remote working from home
One of the biggest businesses you’ve probably never heard of has some very big finance opportunities for people with big ambition. We are Assurant. An innovative Fortune 500 company with 15,000 colleagues around the world, who protect what matters most to over 300 million customers. And whether it’s automotive support, mobile phone and gadget protection or house and business rental insurance, we are always ready to make sure small problems don’t become big issues.
A diverse and inclusive Assurant helps us better understand and connect with our employees, clients & customers.
At Assurant, diversity helps us drive innovation in the global marketplace, and we are strong believers in the strategic value of inclusion and how it improves performance, creates growth opportunities, better aligns us to our clients, and enhances employee engagement.
To achieve this, we believe we must reflect the diversity of the customers we serve
Our continued significant year on year growth means opportunity for everyone. We need a range of professionals who can harness the power of technology to develop the insights, the products and the strategies that will excite our customers, bring our people together and take our business forward. Based in our European HQ, Crewe, every role will help us meet our growth targets and continue to expand our customer base.
You’ll be working with a team of very like-minded colleagues, you’ll be a decision maker and problem solver. And with access to senior leaders, your career opportunities will grow as you do. Most importantly you’ll be at the start of an ambitious growth period for Assurant across our European businesses. You might be part of a smaller business looking to step-up to the next level. Or, you might be part of a large organisation, but are looking for the next challenge. Whatever your background, this opportunity will help build all our futures.
This job is responsible for the preparation of the underwriting data in the company’s general ledger, ensuring accuracy and completeness and in accordance with the monthly reporting timetables
The role ensures adequate controls are maintained through the preparation of balance sheet and underwriting reconciliations
Other responsibilities include, but are not limited to ;
- Reconciliation of general ledger to cash transactions, profitability reports and other reporting
- Creation of manual journal entries for non interfaced business and for ledger corrections as required
- Calculation and recording of accrued income and expenditure including client profit shares
- Ensure that period end provisions for unearned premium, deferred expenses, outstanding claims and IBNR have been correctly made and following up as necessary with actuarial and underwriting staff
- Preparing monthly loss ratio and retention reports for input to month end meetings
- Calculation and recording of reinsurance business and reconciliation to the underwriting reporting data
- Ensure that transactions are recorded at the level of detail required for future reporting, including the correct use of general ledger fields in addition to the development and use of appropriate controls
- Raising Sales Ledger invoices to clients
- Aged Debtor reporting
- Generation of cash transfer requests with appropriate journals and the reconciliation of insurance control accounts between business units
- Reporting of IPT liabilities, reconciliation of IPT balances and cash transfers as required
- Liaison with Finance Business Partners to understand the reporting requirements for new business schemes and to ensure that all new business is reported correctly
- To understand and enquire on the IT production systems and to supply additional data to others as required
The ideal candidate will have the following skills, knowledge and expertise;
- Part Qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA or equivalent, including AAT with sufficient work experience) and a high level of technical proficiency
- Advanced spreadsheet skills
- Flexible, adaptable and comfortable with change
- Sense of urgency with commitment to deliver results to strict deadlines
- Good accounting skills with a desire to develop new solutions
- Commercial mindset
- Credible with finance managers and senior management
- Ability to work remotely (from home)
- Experience of working in a finance team within a mid to large sized organisation
To review the full list of responsibilities and requirements, please download the job description which can be found on our careers website
The call to action:
At Assurant, we’re very big on supporting you to be the best you can be. And from flexible working to healthcare support, from training and development to a range of rewards, what matters to you, matters to us. If you’d like to talk about big finance opportunities with the biggest business you’ve probably never heard of - apply today!