Accounting ManagerApply Location Atlanta, Georgia Requisition Number R-83440
Assurant has an exciting opportunity for an Accounting Manager!
The Accounting Manager is responsible for all areas relating to financial reporting. This position will be responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements. The Accounting Manager supervises staff and is responsible for managing the team to ensure that work is properly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate manner. This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including financial reporting, preparation of internal and external audit deliverables and the support of budget and forecast activities. The Accounting Manager will have contact with senior and product line management which requires strong interpersonal communication skills both written and verbal.
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure
- Ensure an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end close
- Supports budget and forecasting activities
- Collaborates with the other finance department managers to support overall department goals and objectives
- Managing and overseeing the daily operations of the financial reporting department
- Assign projects and direct staff to ensure compliance and accuracy
- Monitors and analyzes department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy
- Advises staff regarding the handling of non-routine reporting transactions
- Work with the AVP to ensure a clean and timely quarterly and year end audit
- Assist in development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department
- Establish and enforce proper accounting methods, policies and principles in accordance with pertinent accounting guidance and state and federal regulation
- Work on recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, assigning, scheduling, coaching and counseling employees; communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, appraising, and reviewing job contributions; planning and reviewing compensation actions; enforcing policies and procedures
- Handle personnel issues relating to staff conflicts, absenteeism, performance issues, etc.
- Work with each direct report to establish goals and objectives for each year and monitor and advise on the progress to enhance the professional development of staff
- Support AVP with special projects and workflow process improvements.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations
- Ensure compliance with internal control policies in a SOX environment
- Protects organization's value by keeping information confidential
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license required
- Five to seven years prior supervisory experience in the financial reporting/general ledger area
Preferred Experience, Skills and Knowledge:
- Able to thrive in a fast pace environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and supervisory skills required
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Previous experience as an accountant, accounting supervisor, or manager
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Strong organizational skills
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills including pivot tables, V-look ups, etc.
- Able to work independently
- Able to adapt to a flexible work environment
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs
Meet Our People
Ignacio D. - Senior Operations Analyst
Whether I'm working with people in Argentina or Chile or Miami, we all feel like we're part of the same company. And within my own group, we share ideas and analyze as a team - and drive for change, for improvements. We'll show each other how we do things and lend advice.
I also enjoy the focus on work-life balance - in the workplace, we're offered exercise classes or stretching classes with a trainer, for example. I've had the flexibility to take classes and training. And, we have the opportunity to give back to the community through events held throughout the year.