Director, Financial Data Governance LeadApply Location New York, New York Additional Locations: Atlanta,Georgia; Chicago,Illinois; Miami,Florida; Woodbury,Minnesota Requisition Number R-86650
Assurant is embarking on a multi-year, multi-phase financial systems and process transformation program. This role will be critical for application design, process transformation, and making recommendations to enhance current state activities related to the Financial Data Governance component of the implementation of an ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) solution as part of a broader financial systems and process strategy. Specifically, this position will be responsible for leading the development of an enhanced data governance and management process for Finance and then implementing that process and overseeing it across Finance as part of Assurant’s implementation of a market-leading cloud ERP solution and associated financial systems architecture as part of a multi-phased transformation program.
The individual in this role will use their deep accounting/financial analysis skills, knowledge and prior experiences to lead the design and implementation of a data governance function for key financial data elements. This position will be actively involved in establishing the dimensional design for the new financial systems platform and developing a plan to acquire the required data from the various sources systems across the organization. This individual will also identify, make recommendations to senior finance stakeholders, and lead efforts to migrate current processes to the leading practices facilitated by having a modern ERP system and associated reference data management tools and technologies.
Initially, the individual in this role will be responsible for providing functional and financial process leadership to the develop the new dimensional design, create and maintain data mappings, performing data analysis and implementing a framework to manage how data elements in the financial systems platform are established, used, and maintained. In the future, the role will then assume responsibility for the ongoing management, support, and enhancement of a global finance function that continuously improves the consistency in how data elements are used, the process around changing data elements, and the overall quality of data available to Finance.
As new functionality and capabilities are added to the financial systems platform, this role will have responsibility for ensuring smooth integration into the platform and will proactively identify and mitigate any potential risks.
Primary Job Accountabilities/Responsibilities
- Lead efforts within Finance and Accounting to design and implement best practice Data Governance and Maintenance processes
- Lead efforts within Finance and Accounting to establish a forward-thinking comprehensive dimensional design that effectively supports the needs of the finance and business stakeholders
- Identify, recommend, champion, and execute on opportunities to enhance existing financial systems processes taking into consideration the requirements of the overall Global Finance organization
- Leverage prior Accounting and Finance experiences and expertise to identify, propose, and implement automated solutions and reduce reliance on manual processes, with a focus on prioritizing the remediation of those processes that currently have the most risk and/or inefficiency
- Actively engage and educate business process owners on solution optimization, simplification and standardization capabilities within the new platform through the reference of prior experiences and other relevant use cases
- Serve as a change agent for the Global Finance organization in designing and implementing best/leading practices across Assurant
- Champion efforts to adopt delivered functionality and established practices and resist the need for customizations and off-system work arounds
- Lead efforts to prioritize and then execute on data quality and data governance improvement efforts
- Clearly and effectively demonstrate to stakeholders how proposed solutions and workflows will help move the Finance and Accounting function forward towards achieving its goals
- Work closely and collaborate with key Finance and Accounting stakeholders, IT, and third-party consulting resources across various locations to design, establish, and operate a global data governance and maintenance process
- Work closely and collaborate with key Finance and Accounting stakeholders, IT, and third-party consulting resources across various locations to design and implement a future state data structure and dimensional design structure in the new financial systems platform
- Serve as the lead Finance and Accounting resource responsible for the consistent mapping of source system data onto the new platform being implemented as part of the program
- Work with stakeholders to understand functional requirements for each area and then develop functional and process solutions in the new tool, while ensuring those requirements are properly understood and communicated to overall program team
- Determine how to best implement functional requirements in financial systems architecture
- Develop creative solutions to effectively meet complex business requirements using delivered functionality
- Work with internal and external auditors to ensure proposed system design, configuration and functionality complies with core control and audit requirements
- Create, deliver, and/or support communication and training activities associated with areas of responsibility
- Ensure program deliverables are completed in accordance with established timelines
- Escalate issues and open items to program management, as appropriate
- Effectively collaborate with workstream leads, program team members, Human Resources, Change Management, Corporate Communications, and other key resources supporting the program
- Lead an indirect team across Finance that manages data quality and data governance activities
- Provide thought leadership and direction to team
- Effectively, prioritize and assign task and deliverables. Leverage appropriate resources across the Enterprise ensuring collaborative decision making consistent with strategic goals of the Enterprise.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or equivalent area of study
- CPA and/or MBA Preferred
- A minimum of 10 years prior financial/management accounting or financial planning & analysis experience
- Strong understanding of the data needs within Finance, Actuarial, Accounting and the business areas
- Previous management accounting and reporting experience
- Strong understanding of dimensional design concepts
- Strong data analysis skills
- Strong understanding of data needs and experience in such in a complex, multinational financial services organization
- Experience in using and implementing an automated reference data management tool
- Experience in working and analyzing data from source systems
- Experience in establishing processes, standards, service level agreements, and communication protocols related to the management of financial systems-related data elements
- Prior experience in implementing and supporting general ledger and other automated solutions in a complex, global organization
- Strong understanding of U.S. GAAP Financial Reporting, Management Reporting, and Planning/Forecasting Processes
- Strong business and financial acumen
- Strong change management acumen
- Experience in designing and implementing Finance and Accounting process and workflows
- Strong influencing, facilitating and consulting skills in working with stakeholders at all levels in the organization and across departments
- Experience in defining, scoping, and managing technology initiatives from a Finance and Accounting perspective
- Experience in leveraging technology to improve finance processes
- Adaptability and flexibility including the ability to manage deadline pressure, ambiguity and change
- Understanding and experience with international regulatory reporting a plus
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Experience in handling and effectively prioritizing multiple concurrent tasks and meeting strict deadlines
- Ability to effectively communicate with all levels within the organization
- Ability to build collaborative relationships with colleagues and business partners
- Must be a team player and able to partner with business, operational, technology, and financial areas
- Ability to lead and motivate teams to reach a common goal
- Advance proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Visio
- Prior experience in Insurance/Financial Services industry a plus
- Previous experience on transformation projects required
Benefits and Value Proposition
- We offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits to full time and part time employees including medical, dental, STD, LTD, life insurance, 401(k), generous paid time off and much more.
- We strive to maintain a professional, yet friendly environment and promote professional and career development for our employees.
Assurant is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All aspects of consideration for employment and employment with the Company are governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
To learn more about our current opportunities and apply online, please visit: http://www.assurant.jobs < http://www.assurant.jobs/ >
Follow us on Twitter! http://twitter.com/AssurantCareers < http://twitter.com/AssurantCareers > (@AssurantCareers)
Assurant, a Fortune 500 company and a member of the S&P 500, is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol AIZ. Assurant has approximately $30 billion in assets and $9 billion in annual revenue. Assurant has approximately 14,500 employees worldwide and is headquartered in New York's financial district. www.assurant.com.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs
Meet Our People
Ignacio D. - Senior Operations Analyst
Whether I'm working with people in Argentina or Chile or Miami, we all feel like we're part of the same company. And within my own group, we share ideas and analyze as a team - and drive for change, for improvements. We'll show each other how we do things and lend advice.
I also enjoy the focus on work-life balance - in the workplace, we're offered exercise classes or stretching classes with a trainer, for example. I've had the flexibility to take classes and training. And, we have the opportunity to give back to the community through events held throughout the year.