Franchise CounselApply Location Miami, Florida Additional Locations: Atlanta,Georgia; Columbus,Ohio Requisition Number R-86629
Join our growing and dynamic legal team that supports Assurant’s Global Lifestyle business channels. The Counsel role will provide franchise and general legal advice, as well as strategic and transactional support to Assurant’s mobile device protection and support business. The ideal candidate will have experience with domestic and/or international franchising laws. The position will be based in either Assurant’s corporate offices in Miami, Florida or Atlanta, Georgia, and will report to the Lead Counsel based in Miami, Florida.
Why You Should Consider This Role
- You are authentic and love connecting with people
- You value the autonomy to use common sense and good judgment to make decisions
- You are naturally comfortable exercising discretion when interpreting policies
- You treat others with dignity and respect and consider the benefits and risks to employees and the business when addressing issues
- You are comfortable dealing with conflict and providing specific feedback
- You are efficient when it comes to managing large volumes of contracts or projects
- You go above and beyond in your role as a leader because you want to, not because you have to
- You are a change agent
What You Will Like
- The people – we care
- The diversity - every day is different
- The excitement – we focus on ‘What Matters Most’ to our customers
- The difference in the value Assurant places on strong leadership
- The opportunity to learn, grow and advance within our fortune 500 global company
- Competitive salary
- Advice and Counsel (40%) Provides advice, strategic and transactional support to sales, operations, marketing, finance, business development and product management groups. Analyze and assess contractual and legal risks. Counsel and advise business clients on ramifications of those risks and potential mitigation strategies. May work cross-functionally with compliance, risk management, insurance, information security and vendor management groups.
- Research and Documentation (15%) Provide legal consultation in the probable interpretation of contracts, application of relevant laws and regulations to include researching and performing analysis impact of federal and state statutes, recent court opinions and administrative interpretations on business practices and procedures. Participate on cross-functional team in connection with design, review and implementation of strategic projects including development of new products and services.
- Draft and Negotiate Contracts and Legal Documents (40%) Draft, review and negotiate complex agreements and contracts materially impacting the business to reflect current and changing business/legal needs including drafting various franchise-related agreements and regulatory filings (e.g. franchise disclosure documents and participation agreements).
- Supervising of Others (5%) Supervise outside legal counsel.
What You Should Know About Us
- Assurant, Inc. helps people protect what matters most to them
- We have been around for a while with our roots tracing back to 1892
- We are a Fortune 500 company employing approximately 15,000 people in 21 countries
- We provide specialty protection products and related services to safeguard against risks
The Basic Qualifications Candidate Will Have
- Undergraduate degree
- Juris Doctorate Degree
- Member of US Bar in good standing
- 4-6 years of legal experience with franchise law practicing in a law firm or corporation, or combination of the both, working on major transactional-based franchise matters
- Effective communication skills verbal and writing skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with autonomy while being a team player who brings a positive attitude to the team
- Ability to evaluate complex legal and regulatory issues and recommend appropriate and defensible courses of action
- Up to 10% travel required
- In depth knowledge of statues and regulations governing insurance, service contracts and related products.
- Experience with franchise regulators and industry trade organizations
- Ability to manage a significant workload with competing priorities efficiently
- Experience litigating franchise and/or complex commercial disputes.
We offer comprehensive benefits to full time and part time employees including medical, dental, STD, LTD, life insurance, 401(k), pension, generous paid time off and much more.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs
Meet Our People
Ignacio D. - Senior Operations Analyst
Whether I'm working with people in Argentina or Chile or Miami, we all feel like we're part of the same company. And within my own group, we share ideas and analyze as a team - and drive for change, for improvements. We'll show each other how we do things and lend advice.
I also enjoy the focus on work-life balance - in the workplace, we're offered exercise classes or stretching classes with a trainer, for example. I've had the flexibility to take classes and training. And, we have the opportunity to give back to the community through events held throughout the year.