Lead Counsel - Patent AttorneyApply Location Atlanta, Georgia Additional Locations: Miami,Florida Requisition Number R-84982
What is a Lead Counsel – Patent Attorney?
The Lead Counsel will report into the VP, Managing Attorney – IP & Business Strategy and serve as an advisor; providing legal, strategic services and advice to Assurant in the areas of Intellectual Property, with an emphasis on patents.
Why You Should Consider This Role
- You are authentic and love fostering relationships in changing landscapes.
- You value the autonomy to use common sense and good judgment to make decisions.
- You treat others with dignity and respect and consider the benefits and risks to employees and the business when addressing issues.
- You are comfortable dealing with conflict and providing specific feedback.
- You are efficient when it comes to prosecuting patent applications across a variety of technology areas.
- You go above and beyond in your role as a leader because you want to, not because you have to.
- You are a change agent.
What You Will Like
- The people – we care.
- The diversity - every day is different.
- The excitement – we focus on ‘What Matters Most’ to our customers.
- The difference in the value Assurant places on strong leadership.
- The opportunity to learn, grow and advance within our fortune 500 global company.
- Competitive salary.
- Oversee and manage intellectual property portfolio. Provide strategic advice and counsel to business stakeholders across the enterprise regarding intellectual property.
- Assist in developing and refining Assurant’s enterprise-wide patent strategy.
- Engage business stakeholders to identify patentable inventions, including leading patent harvesting and disclosure sessions.
- Assist in preparing and prosecuting patent applications, mostly in the field of software applications.
- Provide training and education in the field of intellectual property creation, protection, and enforcement.
- Provide advice and counsel on purchasing and licensing of intellectual property assets and litigation.
- Draft, review, and negotiate intellectual property terms in commercial and property agreements, including confidentiality, licensing, escrow, development or joint-development, and university agreements.
- Mergers & Acquisitions-Draft and review due diligence while providing intellectual property analysis and counsel. Draft intellectual property deal terms. Advise company on transition and post-close activities.
- Management & Training - Manage, mentor, and train junior attorneys and paralegals. Review and oversee attorney and paralegal work product.
What You Should Know About Us
- Assurant, Inc. helps people protect what matters most to them.
- We have been around for a while with our roots tracing back to 1892.
- We are a Fortune 300 company employing approximately 15,000 people in 21 countries.
- We provide specialty protection products and related services to safeguard against risks.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have
- Undergraduate degree.
- Juris Doctorate Degree from an accredited law school.
- Member of US Bar in good standing.
- USPTO registered patent attorney (is a plus).
- 6 years of legal experience with a law firm or corporation, or combination of the both, working on major transactional-based insurance matters.
- Experience with patent evaluation, preparation, and prosecution, IP strategy development, and M&A analysis with a focus on software patents;
- Experience drafting and negotiating intellectual property agreements and clauses.
- Effective communication skills verbal and writing skills.
- Up to 10% travel required.
We offer comprehensive benefits to full time employees including medical, dental, STD, LTD, life insurance, 401(k), pension, generous paid time off and much more.
To learn more about our current opportunities and apply online, please visit:
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs
Meet Our People
Ignacio D. - Senior Operations Analyst
Whether I'm working with people in Argentina or Chile or Miami, we all feel like we're part of the same company. And within my own group, we share ideas and analyze as a team - and drive for change, for improvements. We'll show each other how we do things and lend advice.
I also enjoy the focus on work-life balance - in the workplace, we're offered exercise classes or stretching classes with a trainer, for example. I've had the flexibility to take classes and training. And, we have the opportunity to give back to the community through events held throughout the year.