Accounting ManagerApply Location Chicago, Illinois Requisition Number R-87740
Assurant has an exciting opportunity for an Accounting Manager!
This position plays a leadership role in establishing the processes and procedures to ensure efficient and effective controls for areas of functional responsibilities. This position must have a long term focus on continuous improvement, operational excellence and ongoing value to Assurant and its business segments. To be effective in this role, the manager must be an expert in functional areas as well as excelling at customer relations, problem resolution, process flow, and managing processes. This position is also responsible for the team(s)’s preparation, processing, reporting, recordkeeping, and / or delivery of service.
- Operational Excellence (30-40%)
- Manage the day-to-day operations for respective team(s) assigned. Ensures complete, accurate and timely deliverables in accordance with procedures, policy guidance and applicable regulations.
- Is considered a leader and/or technical expert in areas of responsibilities and can ensure requirements are understood and met by internal and external resources.
- Plays a leadership role in the development and annual maintenance of effective workflow with all functional areas. This includes ensuring appropriate documentation; controls and performance, customer service and regulatory standards are understood and adhered to by internal staff and stakeholders.
- Is a liaison between internal and external stakeholders, responsible for monitoring performance and quality metrics, resolving issues and escalations
- Formulates, develops and administers procedures necessary to implement approved policies and procedures and provides the overall direction necessary to ensure the delivery of efficient and effective processes. Will be required to approve work performed by the staff (example: journal entries, reconciliations, cash requisitions)
- Understands, promotes and documents an environment of effective controls within the department. Ensures all team members and service provider understand company and regulatory requirements (i.e. SOX, MAR, record retention, audit, etc.) and are continually verifying all their actions and processes to support Assurant’s values.
- Development of Engaged, Action Oriented Employees (20-30%)
- Hires, develops, and evaluates staff members. Ensures that staff understands and supports their individual role and management’s role in the corporate performance and development processes.
- Ensure job descriptions, annual performance process and individual development process are utilized to drive performance and behavior of the team
- Identify best practices and skill growth opportunities in functional areas to ensure effective ongoing training of staff.
- Effectively deal with all performance issues in a timely manner, partnering with Human Resources when needed.
- Strategic (15-20%)
- Builds relationships throughout the organization and continually strives to identify ways in which areas of responsibility can assist the business segments and corporate to achieve their goals.
- Develops and secures approval for short- and long- term goals and plans for the functional areas.
- Keeps up-to-date on latest functional, management and process trends to indentify and implement best-in-class practices.
- Ensures team understands strategy and is appropriately connected to strategy through operating goals and measurements.
- Strategic/Complex Projects (15-20%)
- Develop effective relationships and information flows to maintain an awareness of strategic Corporate and business segment projects that impact functional areas.
- Lead and/or support strategic projects as appropriate.
- Play a leadership role for functional areas of responsibilities in acquisitions and divestitures.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR WORK OF OTHERS
This position will be responsible for managing a team of associates and their workload which will fluctuate with area needs. Also responsible for managing employee relation issues.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, related area or equivalent work experience
- CPA, CMA, MBA preferred
- 5+ years of experience in progressive accounting and/or financial operational areas
- 3 – 5 years supervisory experience preferred
- 4+ years working in a shared services environment preferred
Knowledge and Skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Requires knowledge in software for accounting and financial operations and demonstrated experience on management and control of the processes and financial practices (i.e. SOX, MAR, audits)
- Thorough knowledge of general accounting including the application of related theory.
Manager level performance in:
- Good judgment, collaboration and teamwork, strategic agility, decision-making, building and leading teams.
- Problem analysis and problem resolution at both a strategic and functional level.
- Ability to positively adjust to changing business demands.
- Successful track record working and building effective relationships in a multi-site, multi-function environment with the complexities of meeting the diverse needs of multiple business lines.
- Ability to influence peers within AFS, segment and external resources
- Commitment to company values.
- Ability to multi-task, work well under pressure and perform in a fast paced environment.
- Strong organizational abilities with a high level of written and interpersonal communications skills in order to communicate effectively with various levels of management and staff personnel.
0-15% typical. Level of travel depends on nature of projects and business need. Some International Travel may be required.
Benefits and Value Proposition
We offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits to full time and part time employees including medical, dental, STD, LTD, life insurance, 401(k), generous paid time off and much more.
We strive to maintain a professional, yet friendly environment and promote professional and career development for our employees.
Assurant is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All aspects of consideration for employment and employment with the Company are governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
To learn more about our current opportunities and apply online, please visit:
Assurant, a Fortune 500 company and a member of the S&P 500, is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol AIZ. Assurant has approximately $30 billion in assets and $9 billion in annual revenue. Assurant has approximately 14,500 employees worldwide and is headquartered in New York's financial district. www.assurant.com.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs
Meet Our People
Ignacio D. - Senior Operations Analyst
Whether I'm working with people in Argentina or Chile or Miami, we all feel like we're part of the same company. And within my own group, we share ideas and analyze as a team - and drive for change, for improvements. We'll show each other how we do things and lend advice.
I also enjoy the focus on work-life balance - in the workplace, we're offered exercise classes or stretching classes with a trainer, for example. I've had the flexibility to take classes and training. And, we have the opportunity to give back to the community through events held throughout the year.