AVP, Accounting Shared ServicesApply Location Miami, Florida Requisition Number R-87920
Assurant has an exciting opportunity for an AVP, Accounting Shared Services!
This job is responsible for leading the Premium Accounting Services (PAS) team, which is one of the departments in the Accounting and Finance Services (AFS) group within the Global Accounting organization at Assurant. This role is responsible for leading a group of virtual teams that oversee the Accounts Receivables (AR), Billing, Collections, and Claims Accounting functions for targeted Business lines across the Enterprise.
Key priorities for this role will include:
- Leading and overseeing day to day operations of the AR, Cash Receipts, Billing, Collections, and Claims Accounting teams
- Driving high standards of quality, accuracy, and accounting excellence within each functional area
- Focusing on standardization, streamlining, enhancing policies, and practices across the various teams
- Leading M&A integration efforts for areas of responsibilities
- Defining and leading related system requirements and enhancements to support Premium Accounting Services functions
The individual in this position will serve as a liaison with senior business and product owners as part of accounts receivables governance and in support of new client and strategic business initiatives. Additionally, this role will provide all governance and ensure service level compliance and metric reporting for both on-shore and off-shore resources. This position will work alongside internal leadership to drive transformation, cultivate a culture of continuous improvement, support system integration efforts, and promote ongoing learning and engagement in a fast-paced Finance & Accounting Shared Services environment.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Manage and develop staff across several locations in an internal virtual team environment and oversee the operational work activities performed by 3rd party offshore providers.
- Leader and/or technical expert in areas of responsibilities and can ensure operational and accounting requirements are understood and met consistently.
- Responsible for the development and maintenance of effective end-to-end workflows for receivables, billing, and claims accounting processes. This responsibility includes ensuring appropriate documentation and performance, customer services standards, and accounting controls are understood and adhered to by the teams.
- Formulates GAAP/STAT accounting policies, controls, and data governance for areas of responsibilities and secures appropriate approvals. Develops and administers procedures necessary to implement approved policies and provides the overall direction necessary to ensure the delivery of efficient and effective processes.
- Leverage prior Accounting and Finance experiences and expertise to identify, propose, and implement automated solutions and reduce reliance on manual processes, with a focus on prioritizing the remediation of those processes that currently have the most risk and/or inefficiency.
- Ensures all team members understand company and regulatory requirements (i.e., SOX, GAAP/STAT reporting requirements, records retention, audit, data residency and privacy, etc.) and are continually verifying all their actions and processes to support Assurant’s values.
- Actively participate in and provide thought leadership for Assurant’s financial systems and modernization program that includes migration to an Oracle cloud ERP solution. As part of this, this position will collaborate with key Finance and Accounting stakeholders, IT, and third-party consulting resources to design, test, and implement a new end-to-end financial systems platform supporting AR, Billing, and Collections capabilities.
- Maintain and enhance AFS operational metrics & related reporting.
- Serve as a change agent for the development and implementation of strategic initiatives across Global Finance organization in designing and implementing best/leading practices across Assurant.
- Accountable for the overall management of a cost center budget and expense allocation activities.
Responsibility for work of others: Position will involve remote management including AFS PAS team members - 51, number of direct reports – 5, Offshore roles – 40
Financial Responsibility: May assist in the overall management of AFS functional area Cost center budget(s) and expense allocation activities
Basic Qualifications Required - Experience, Skills and Knowledge:
- 15+ years of working experience in Accounting or Finance
- Experience in leading Accounts Receivables, Billing and Collections functions in a complex, diversified organization
- Experience working within U.S. GAAP reporting environment required
- Advanced spreadsheet and database skills required
- Internal control knowledge and experience with data governance, Audit and SOX
- Experience with ERP and billing and collection systems essential
- Previous management experience essential
- BA or BS in accounting or finance
- Yes – air travel, some international
Preferred Experience, Skills and Knowledge:
- CPA or equivalent international professional accounting/finance qualification preferred
- Experience in an insurance accounting environment and working knowledge of U.S. Statutory Reporting requirements. International regulatory reporting knowledge a plus.
- Experience in leading cross functional teams with a strong focus on the Customer Experience
- Experienced working in a multination environment would be a great advantage
- Prior Shared Services or Business Process Outsourcing experience
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent leadership and ability to lead team through change
- Strong organization, collaboration and partnering skills
- Ability to accomplish results through others
- In depth knowledge of financial practices
- Remote management experience a plus
- Ability to influence all levels of the organization
- Project management experience
- Problem solving and results orientation
- Effective communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills a must
- Strong Continuous Improvement / Six Sigma experience
- Development and management of performance metrics
- Working knowledge of Oracle A/R functionality preferred
Benefits and Value Proposition
We offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits to full time and part time employees including medical, dental, STD, LTD, life insurance, 401(k), generous paid time off and much more.
We strive to maintain a professional, yet friendly environment and promote professional and career development for our employees.
Assurant is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All aspects of consideration for employment and employment with the Company are governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
To learn more about our current opportunities and apply online, please visit:
Assurant, a Fortune 500 company and a member of the S&P 500, is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol AIZ. Assurant has approximately $30 billion in assets and $9 billion in annual revenue. Assurant has approximately 14,500 employees worldwide and is headquartered in New York's financial district. www.assurant.com.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs
Meet Our People
Ignacio D. - Senior Operations Analyst
Whether I'm working with people in Argentina or Chile or Miami, we all feel like we're part of the same company. And within my own group, we share ideas and analyze as a team - and drive for change, for improvements. We'll show each other how we do things and lend advice.
I also enjoy the focus on work-life balance - in the workplace, we're offered exercise classes or stretching classes with a trainer, for example. I've had the flexibility to take classes and training. And, we have the opportunity to give back to the community through events held throughout the year.