Lead AccountantApply Location Miami, Florida Requisition Number R-87687
The Lead Accountant provides accurate and timely financial information to Segment and Corporate management and to regulatory agencies on behalf of Segment and Corporate management. The position serves as subject matter expert in the interpretation and application of certain areas of accounting theory. It plays a leadership role in enhancing existing processes by identifying alternative solutions and leading certain implementation efforts. The Lead Accountant also provides guidance and development support to accounting staff. The position will cultivate a continuous improvement culture, promote ongoing learning and exhibit a high level of engagement in a fast-paced F&A shared services environment. The ideal candidate must be able to contribute to the Shared Service strategy and execution by applying knowledge and experience and helping develop the entire staff.
What You Get to Do:
- Prepares and assists in the completion of more complex financial deliverables.
- Serves as subject matter expert in respective arenas; able to research, reference and interpret accounting guidance.
- Performs review work of certain exhibits/schedules/transactions and is able to call out issues, errors, exceptions using higher level of analytical skills.
- Provides adequate metrics and trending reports to management identifying reasons for trend.
- Organize and analyze data on reconciliation status and results in Power Point to present to management.
- Develop and maintain relations with business segments and stakeholders.
- Collaborates with contributors and coworkers to identify, propose and implement approved issue resolution alternatives; leads implementation of portions of agreed upon solutions, including training other staff or process participants.
- Suggests and supports the establishment of metrics/performance reporting. Monitors and improve key performance indicators.
- Assist to ensure team meets all deadlines and deliverables in a timely and accurate manner.
- Support improvement of and compliance with internal controls including SOX and MAR.
- Assist AFS management to help build AFS brand with leadership by example.
- Take on assignments new to AFS and apply experience to propose practice and procedure. Identify and communicate areas of inconsistency, offer alternative solutions for improvement in quality and process.
- Actively participate in identification of and implementation of best practice solutions.
- Support and make recommendations to develop efficient and innovative processes.
- Foster open communication and innovative thinking.
- Supports accounting system and processes.
- Lead and/or support strategic and work projects as appropriate.
Responsibility for Work of Others:
- Serves as a subject matter expert to less experienced employees.
- Reviews and analyzes financial information prepared by others.
- Provides work direction to other team members; provides necessary training and guidance to other staff.
What You Need to Have:
- BA or BS in Accounting or Finance.
- 5+ years of general accounting experience.
- Understanding of progressive accounting practices and procedures.
- In depth knowledge of financial and regulatory requirements (i.e. MAR, SOX, GAAP, audits).
- Problem analysis and resolution at a functional level; critical thinking skills – detail and results oriented.
- Ability to influence peers within department and segments, building effective relationships in a multi-site, multi-function environment with the complexities of meeting the diverse needs of multiple business lines.
- Ability to multi-task, work well under pressure and perform in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong organizational abilities with a high level of interpersonal/communications skills in order to communicate effectively with various levels of management and staff personnel.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Excel and Power Point.
- Commitment to company values.
What We Would Like You to Have:
- 5+ years of general accounting experience, insurance preferred.
- 2+ years working in a shared services environment preferred.
- CPA or CMA a plus.
- Ability to work extended hours.
- Limited or None.
Benefits and Value Proposition:
We offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits to full time and part time employees including medical, dental, STD, LTD, life insurance, 401(k), generous paid time off and much more.
We strive to maintain a professional, yet friendly environment and promote professional and career development for our employees.
Assurant is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All aspects of consideration for employment and employment with the Company are governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
To learn more about our current opportunities and apply online, please visit: http://jobs.assurant.com
Assurant, a Fortune 500 company and a member of the S&P 500, is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol AIZ. Assurant has approximately $30 billion in assets and $9 billion in annual revenue. Assurant has approximately 14,500 employees worldwide and is headquartered in New York's financial district. www.assurant.com.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs
Meet Our People
Ignacio D. - Senior Operations Analyst
Whether I'm working with people in Argentina or Chile or Miami, we all feel like we're part of the same company. And within my own group, we share ideas and analyze as a team - and drive for change, for improvements. We'll show each other how we do things and lend advice.
I also enjoy the focus on work-life balance - in the workplace, we're offered exercise classes or stretching classes with a trainer, for example. I've had the flexibility to take classes and training. And, we have the opportunity to give back to the community through events held throughout the year.