Ratings AssociateApply Location Miami, Florida Requisition Number R-87757
The Ratings Associate will assist in coordinating and compiling presentations, and control data flow to the rating agencies. In this role, you will stay abreast of developments with our competitors and our rating agencies, convey developments to interested parties, and aid in communicating the message of Assurant and its Segments with the agencies. You will also help execute the overall ratings strategy for Assurant.
What You Get to Do:
1. Prepare Rating Agency Presentations:
Work with Ratings and Capital Vice President, Segment Business Leads, and key leaders from Corporate Functional Areas to coordinate preparation of the annual New York AM Best, Moody’s, S&P and Fitch presentations. Coordinate with IR and Communications departments to ensure common message by Segment for all presentations. Prepare and brief Executive Committee for the presentation by summarizing the issues and concerns for them and letting them know what points to emphasize. Participate in annual New York ratings presentations, and coordinate any follow up questions that may result from the meetings.
2. Control data flow to rating agencies:
Maintain logs and files of AM Best annual data requests, such as Initial Galleys, Full Reports, Supplemental Ratings Questionnaires (SRQs), Presidents’ letters, capital models, etc. Maintain log and files of S&P annual surveys, capital models, etc. Maintain log and files of data sent to Moody’s and Fitch for use in their annual reviews. Maintain chronological files of other relevant data sent to the rating agencies (such as bond or CP documents, emails with embedded information, etc.). Conduct reviews to analyze information contained within data flow for accuracy – correspond with appropriate parties within our organization and at rating agencies for corrections and/or changes.
3. Review Rating Agency Releases, Surveys, Questionnaires and Reports:
Manage the review of press releases and other documents to be publicly released about our companies in a timely fashion. Manage the review of non-public documents analyzing statutory information that are provided to rating agencies as well (SRQ, Surveys, capital models). Ensure accuracy of data. Analyze data and ensure that financial data ties back to publicly available sources, such as Assurant’s 10-K, 10Q, statutory statements, press releases, etc. Correspond with Ratings Agencies as to any corrections and changes. Coordinate the review of such releases and reports with IR, Legal, Enterprise Business Services, representatives from the business units, and Communications departments.
4. Stay Abreast of Ratings Developments and Inform Interested Parties:
Attend annual industry meetings sponsored by AM Best, S&P and other Rating Agencies. Notify and distribute relevant materials to interested parties at the Segments and Senior Management. Research rating agencies’ websites and stay up to date on their opinions, reports, and any ratings actions of our competitors. Inform interested parties at Segments and Senior Management of developments from the Agencies. Make sure internet and intranet are updated to reflect any changes in ratings. Assist in preparation and review of ratings disclosure in annual report.
5. Interact with Rating Agencies. Act as Overall Day to Day Contact for the Rating Agencies:
Field phone calls with Rating Agencies to handle data requests. Assist in giving Rating Agencies a better understanding of our complex businesses by providing detailed information after consulting with Ratings and Capital Vice President and other relevant experts. Keep all interested parties up to date with developments. Arrange logistics for all meetings/conference calls with the Rating Agencies. Work closely with the business units, Finance and Assurant Asset Management to provide Rating Agencies with requested information in a timely fashion.
6. Maintain Model and Forecast of Key Rating Agency Metrics:
Analyze key drivers of the Company’s ratings and understand calculation of metrics that drive the rating. Determine whether agency standard approaches make sense as applied to Assurant’s unique business mix and determine rationale for why certain metrics are not meaningful as applied to Assurant. Build models to regularly measure and forecast key metrics seeking input from other departments when needed.
7. Peer Analysis:
Analyze peer company ratings metrics as compared to Assurant and the associated ratings of the peers. Identify any inconsistencies in approach that may adversely impact AIZ’s ratings. Analyze peer dividend policy to assist with recommended changes to Assurant Dividends.
8. Aid Segments in Communicating Assurant Ratings to Current or Prospective Clients:
Coordinate quarterly updates to SCI Investment Committee. Provide rating related inputs to segments for RFPs. Prepare responses to any client rating related questions.
1. Prepare ratings area budget.
2. Manage rating agency billing.
3. Assist in budget/billing of Treasury cost centers.
What You Need to Have:
- Minimum of 4 years of related/finance experience with specific experience analyzing financial data.
- College degree in finance, accounting, or related field.
- Strong communication skills (oral, written, listening).
- Demonstrated proficiency in Excel and PowerPoint.
- Attention to detail and accuracy of work.
- Ability to create an atmosphere in which timely and high-quality information flows smoothly between self and others; encourages the open expression of ideas and opinions.
- Ability to convey information clearly and effectively through both formal and informal documents; reviews and edits written work constructively.
- Ability to relate to people in an open, friendly, accepting manner.
- Ability to access and use other expert resources when appropriate.
- Ability to take action to meet, and where possible, exceed customer needs and expectations.
- Willing and able to adjust to multiple demands, shifting priorities, ambiguity, and rapid change.
What We Would Like You to Have:
- MBA, CPA, or CFA.
- Knowledge of the industries and sectors in which the company operates.
- Insurance accounting experience.
- Experience with rating agencies and investor relations.
Benefits and Value Proposition:
We offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits to full time and part time employees including medical, dental, STD, LTD, life insurance, 401(k), generous paid time off and much more.
We strive to maintain a professional, yet friendly environment and promote professional and career development for our employees.
Assurant is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All aspects of consideration for employment and employment with the Company are governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
To learn more about our current opportunities and apply online, please visit: http://jobs.assurant.com
Assurant, a Fortune 500 company and a member of the S&P 500, is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol AIZ. Assurant has approximately $30 billion in assets and $9 billion in annual revenue. Assurant has approximately 14,500 employees worldwide and is headquartered in New York's financial district. www.assurant.com.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs
Meet Our People
Ignacio D. - Senior Operations Analyst
Whether I'm working with people in Argentina or Chile or Miami, we all feel like we're part of the same company. And within my own group, we share ideas and analyze as a team - and drive for change, for improvements. We'll show each other how we do things and lend advice.
I also enjoy the focus on work-life balance - in the workplace, we're offered exercise classes or stretching classes with a trainer, for example. I've had the flexibility to take classes and training. And, we have the opportunity to give back to the community through events held throughout the year.