VP, AuditApply Requisition Number 52880
If you are looking to take your audit leadership career to the next level and join a collaborative team in a growing company, this is an opportunity you will want to explore.
We are actively seeking a strong leader for the Vice President, Internal Audit role, reporting to the Chief Audit Executive (CAE). This position is accountable for the performance of audits and SOX / MAR compliance efforts within the assigned Assurant business or function, up to and including the issuance of the final report. The incumbent also has responsibility for the creation and execution of the annual audit plan, providing special assistance on projects, information and additional work to the Audit Committee and Executive Management for the assigned business or function.
The primary responsibility of this role is to lead and be responsible for the internal audit work of the assigned business(es) or functional areas.
Specific tasks include the following:
- Lead the development and implementation of a comprehensive risk-based audit plan reflecting a thorough understanding of risks facing assigned business segment(s) and with consideration of all Assurant businesses.
- Execute the risk-based audit plan within budgeted time and resources using department metrics and reports to manage projects.
- Provide relevant, factual, clear and timely reports of the control environment to senior business leaders.
- Ensure consistency and quality of work product by following department process, methodologies and reporting standards.
- Analyze concerns and opportunities across all lines of business for the segment, and provide advisory services to enhance the efficiency or effectiveness of governance and business practices.
- Lead staff and coordinate efforts of external auditor and SOX compliance teams.
- Participate in the reporting requirements to Audit Committee, Executive Management Committees as required.
- Collaborate with the external auditors regarding the execution of the annual financial audit and manage the resulting work done on their behalf.
- Determine and execute the appropriate staffing model required to effectively and efficiently support the requirements for audits of the assigned Assurant businesses, whether it be through use of local audit staff, co-sourcing or outsourcing.
Key to the success of this role is the ability to build meaningful business relationships with segment business leaders, executive management and external auditors in order to develop a complete understanding of the business and demonstrate the advisory capacity of IAS.
- Provide advisory services to segment leadership on risks and controls directly related to assigned segment(s) or functional areas.
- Actively acquire knowledge of current regulatory, industry, auditing and business practices.
- Seek to gain exposure to the business to understand its risk profile through an understanding of the business development, strategic directions and execution plans of the business.
- Provide expertise of assigned business segment(s) to staff members.
- Participate in business or functional leadership counsels, enterprise risk councils, M&A, deal reviews, etc. to coordinate audit efforts and better understand business needs.
- Develop trust in IAS through demonstrations of competency with character while marketing value of internal audit to stake holders.
- Develop additional enterprise wide specialty functional expertise (i.e. the mitigation of material fraud risk.)
- Work closely with leaders from legal, compliance, risk management, actuarial and gain an understanding of their contribution to the execution of business strategic plans.
Staff & Department Development
Critical to this role is the responsibility to hire, train and develop staff to accomplish department goals and lead department development to achieve consistent quality and value across all AIZ business and functional areas. Specific tasks include the following:
- Hire, train, manage and motivate staff to successfully achieve department goals.
- Execute department talent management strategy and manage staff career development.
- Work with department training resources to meet staff development needs.
- Participate in department improvement initiatives to increase the overall efficiency and effectiveness of the department.
- Use department metrics to manage staff and projects and achieve strategic vision of department.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Finance, Accounting or general business.
- One or more related professional certifications in accounting or auditing (CPA, CIA, CISA etc.)
- 10 years of professional audit experience, or specific business segment or Assurant enterprise management experience, with increasing scope of responsibilities and a proven track record of building effective teams to deliver value to the business.
- 5 years of audit or executive level report writing, editing
- 5 years in a manager role, with experience in coaching, mentoring and managing multiple teams of auditors or similar business support service teams.
- Masters in Accounting, Finance or MBA strongly preferred
- Experience working for a public audit / accounting / consulting firm strongly preferred
- Experience working in an Insurance related industry
- Experience with the TeamMate Audit System
- Audit and risk management experience with product lines supporting third-party administrators or distribution.
- Experience managing or leading in multi-platform, multi-product, multi-market businesses.
- Experience in M&A activities, Fraud investigations, control self-assessment.
- Ability to demonstrate effective critical thinking in all written reports and correspondence
- Proficiency with the following:
- Assessing risk, auditing controls and providing recommendations that create value to a business.
- Audit report and general writing that is succinct, clear and professional
- Audit report reviewing
- Training, mentoring, coaching and developing staff to improve performance and staff potential
- Team building and relationship managing skills to influence actions
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Gathering and disseminating business, industry, audit knowledge and best practices.
- Demonstrated knowledge in the following areas:
- Internal audit, methodologies, best practices
- Insurance industry and insurance business
- Audit report writing, editing techniques
- Risk, compliance and regulatory issues effecting the insurance and finance industries
The candidate will be able to provide examples of successfully demonstrating the following leadership competencies:
- Building credibility with business owners through professional communication, work product, etc.
- Desire to continuously improve process and product and operating with positive outlook in the midst of critics with ability to lead others through cultural transformations.
- Ability to realize outcomes through influence, coaching and mentoring
- Building trust through demonstrating an understanding of risk, competency and character
- Executive presence with the ability to communicate clearly and professionally in all mediums (written, verbal, presentations, etc.)
- Demonstrate unquestionable integrity, objectivity and independence
- Exemplifies a strong work ethic with a proven track record of projects delivered timely with exceptional quality.
Request an Accomodation
If you need help with the application process or an accommodation, we encourage you to tell us so that we can try to get you the help you need for that. Assurant is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis.Please click the link: https://www.assurant.com/CustomerSupport/EmailAssurant and then select Other Question.