Front-end Software Engineer (Work from Home/Remote)Apply Requisition Number 53006
Who we are
Four enduring values guide the way we support our customers and work with one another: Common Sense, Common Decency, Uncommon Thinking and Uncommon Results. Our employees uphold our common purpose: to help people protect what matters most to them. Assurant Mortgage Solutions provides tools related to values and evaluations for homes and commercial properties across the country. Banks and investors of all types need to know how much a property is worth before they give a loan, buy a loan, take possession, or invest. AMS works to provide those values through a network of brokers, appraisers and inspectors. Our technology provides a pathway for this information, so everyone involved can make the best decisions with the best information.
How we work
We encourage a team atmosphere guided by Agile principles. We work closely with our business units, project managers, technology architects and quality assurance specialists to work tickets through a short lifecycle. With releases about every three weeks you'll see your code in production quickly, and get feedback regularly on how it's doing. We use Jira, Git, Bitbucket, Bamboo and Ansible to automate ticket processes, manage code, enable code review, provide code testing and automate deployment. We are building out our unit and automated tests suites with every iteration, and we'd love your input on how to make that better, faster and more resilient.
We work on MacBook Pros and spin up our dev environment in Docker containers for coding and testing. You can pick your favorite editor and make things work however you want. It's your machine. Make yourself at home.
We use Slack, Skype, and Polycom to make communication easy with everyone across the enterprise.
Our typical stack includes Debian Linux, PostgreSQL, RabbitMQ, and Perl. These aren't your system manager's Perl scripts either. We use modern web frameworks for building RESTful web services.
For the front-end we have built a large SPA app using the ExtJS framework. This has served us well over the years, but we are now starting to build new with Angular in order to stand on the shoulders of giants and build world class web applications.
Where we work
Our office is located in downtown Milwaukee, WI. We offer scheduled remote work for most employees. There are tons of great places to eat within walking distance of the office. There is also convenient parking in our attached parking ramp.
Assurant has other offices in Miami, Atlanta, Austin, Indianapolis and elsewhere. We offer the best of both worlds with a small company environment and big company backing. It's a great place to be.
When we work
Core hours are 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., so most everyone will be available during those hours. Some early birds show before 7 to beat traffic, while others like the quiet office after hours. We don't make a big deal about hours. Meetings and such are scheduled during the core hours because it just makes things easier. Working more than 40 hours a week is rarely needed, so you shouldn't. We want you to like staying at the office, but not so much that you actually do.
- 3+ years of experience with Git or similar version control
- Strong technical skills, positive attitude and flexibility with displayed enthusiasm for self-initiated professional growth
- Strong communication skills and comfortable in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Bachelor's degree plus 5 or more years of experience
- 5+ years of experience with Git or similar version control
Impress us with
- Real-world experience with ExtJS, Angular, Vue.js, or React and its ecosystem (Webpack, Redux, ES6, Flow)
- Real-world experience with at testing framework like Selenium, Siesta, Jasmine, Protractor, Jest, or Nightwatch
Benefits worth highlighting:
- Medical, Dental, Life and Disability Insurance
- Basic Life, Basic Accidental Death & Dismemberment, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- 401(k) Plan with $1 for $1 match up to 6 percent
- Flexible Health Care Spending plan
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan at a 10% discount
- Tuition Reimbursement Assistance
- Community Involvement / Matching Gifts Program
- 19 days of PTO per year with the ability to roll over 15 unused days per year
- 11 paid company holidays in 2018
Half our team is remote, so telecommuters are welcome so long as you are available to travel to the Milwaukee office 3 times a year. Currently we are only seeking telecommuters within the US.
Never been to Milwaukee? You'll love it here! http://www.dearmke.com/
Request an Accomodation
If you need help with the application process or an accommodation, we encourage you to tell us so that we can try to get you the help you need for that. Assurant is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis.Please click the link: https://www.assurant.com/CustomerSupport/EmailAssurant and then select Other Question.