Director, ERP - General Ledger Functional LeadApply Location New York, New York Additional Locations: Atlanta,Georgia; Chicago,Illinois; Miami,Florida; Woodbury,Minnesota Requisition Number R-86701
Assurant is embarking on a multi-year, multi-phase financial systems and process transformation program. This role will be critical for application design, process transformation, and making recommendations to enhance current state activities related to the General Ledger component of the implementation of an ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) solution as part of a broader financial systems and process strategy. Specifically, the General Ledger Functional Lead will be the key Finance and Accounting resource leading the General Ledger, Consolidations/ Equitizations, Fixed Asset Accounting, and Allocations components of Assurant’s implementation of a market-leading cloud ERP solution and associated financial systems architecture as part of a multi-phased transformation program.
The individual in this role will use their deep accounting skills, knowledge and prior experiences to lead the design and implementation of key accounting functions/processes in a new ERP platform. This individual will also identify, make recommendations to senior finance stakeholders, and lead efforts to migrate current accounting processes to the leading practices facilitated by having a modern ERP system.
Initially, the individual in this role will be responsible for providing functional and financial process leadership to the design and implementation of the new platform and best practice processes. In the future, the role will then assume responsibility for the ongoing management, support, and enhancement of the general ledger and related functions, with a focus on continuously identifying, recommending, and executing on opportunities to better streamline and gain efficiencies in the Finance function through leveraging the investment we have made in a new systems platform.
As new functionality and capabilities are added to the financial systems platform, this role will have responsibility for ensuring smooth integration into the general ledger and will proactively identify and mitigate any potential risks.
Primary Job Accountabilities/
- Lead efforts within Finance and Accounting to design and implement best practice GL, Consolidation, Equitization, Financial Reporting & Analytics, Fixed Assets and Allocations processes in a leading cloud ERP solution
- Identify, recommend, champion, and execute on opportunities to enhance existing accounting, fixed asset, and allocation processes taking into consideration the requirements of the overall Global Finance organization
- Leverage prior Accounting and Finance experiences and expertise to identify, propose, and implement automated solutions and reduce reliance on manual processes, with a focus on prioritizing the remediation of those processes that currently have the most risk and/or inefficiency
- Actively engage and educate business process owners on solution optimization, simplification and standardization capabilities within the new platform through the reference of prior experiences and other relevant use cases
- Serve as a change agent for the Global Finance organization in designing and implementing best/leading practices across Assurant
- Champion efforts to adopt delivered functionality and established practices and resist the need for customizations and off-system work arounds
- Clearly and effectively demonstrate to stakeholders how proposed solutions and workflows will help move the Finance and Accounting function forward towards achieving its goals
- Work closely and collaborate with key Finance and Accounting stakeholders, IT, and third-party consulting resources across various locations to design, test, implement, and support a global financial systems platform, with overall responsibility for leading the General Ledger workstream component of the overall program
- Work with stakeholders to understand functional requirements for each area and then develop functional and process solutions in the new tool, while ensuring those requirements are properly understood and communicated to overall program team
- Determine how to best implement functional requirements in financial systems architecture
- Develop creative solutions to effectively meet complex business requirements using delivered functionality
- Work with internal and external auditors to ensure proposed system design, configuration and functionality complies with core control and audit requirements
- Create, deliver, and/or support communication and training activities associated with areas of responsibility
- Ensure program deliverables are completed in accordance with established timelines
- Escalate issues and open items to program management, as appropriate
- Effectively collaborate with workstream leads, program team members, Human Resources, Change Management, Corporate Communications, and other key resources supporting the program
- Lead a team of financial/functional analysts responsible for the implementation and support of the general ledger and related functionality
- Provide thought leadership and direction to team
- Ensure team members have appropriate performance goals and provide ongoing feedback and hold performance discussions on a regular basis
- Effectively, prioritize and assign task and deliverables. Leverage appropriate resources across the Enterprise ensuring collaborative decision making consistent with strategic goals of the Enterprise.
Basic Qualifications Required - Experience, Skills, and Knowledge
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or equivalent area of study
- CPA and/or MBA Preferred
- A minimum of 10 years prior financial accounting/auditing and financial systems experience
- Prior experience in implementing automated general ledger, consolidations, fixed assets and allocation processes and automated solutions in a complex, global organization
- Strong knowledge of general ledger, fixed asset, and consolidation accounting principles
- Strong understanding of U.S. GAAP Financial Reporting, Management Reporting, and Planning/Forecasting Processes
- Strong fixed asset accounting background
- Strong allocations background
- Strong business and financial acumen
- Strong change management acumen
- Experience in designing and implementing Finance and Accounting process and workflows
- Strong influencing, facilitating and consulting skills in working with stakeholders at all levels in the organization and across departments
- Experience in defining, scoping, and managing technology initiatives from a Finance and Accounting perspective
- Experience in leveraging technology to improve finance processes
- Adaptability and flexibility including the ability to manage deadline pressure, ambiguity and change
- Understanding and experience with international regulatory reporting a plus
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Experience in handling and effectively prioritizing multiple concurrent tasks and meeting strict deadlines
- Ability to effectively communicate with all levels within the organization
- Ability to build collaborative relationships with colleagues and business partners
- Must be a team player and able to partner with business, operational, technology, and financial areas
- Ability to lead and motivate teams to reach a common goal
- Advance proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Visio
- Prior experience in Insurance/Financial Services industry a plus
- Previous experience on transformation projects required
Benefits and Value Proposition
- We offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits to full time and part time employees including medical, dental, STD, LTD, life insurance, 401(k), generous paid time off and much more.
- We strive to maintain a professional, yet friendly environment and promote professional and career development for our employees.
Assurant is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All aspects of consideration for employment and employment with the Company are governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
To learn more about our current opportunities and apply online, please visit:
Assurant, a Fortune 500 company and a member of the S&P 500, is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol AIZ. Assurant has approximately $30 billion in assets and $9 billion in annual revenue. Assurant has approximately 14,500 employees worldwide and is headquartered in New York's financial district. www.assurant.com.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs
Meet Our People
Ignacio D. - Senior Operations Analyst
Whether I'm working with people in Argentina or Chile or Miami, we all feel like we're part of the same company. And within my own group, we share ideas and analyze as a team - and drive for change, for improvements. We'll show each other how we do things and lend advice.
I also enjoy the focus on work-life balance - in the workplace, we're offered exercise classes or stretching classes with a trainer, for example. I've had the flexibility to take classes and training. And, we have the opportunity to give back to the community through events held throughout the year.