VP, Accounting PolicyApply Location New York, New York Requisition Number 56386
- Manage all existing accounting policies supporting compliance with SEC, US GAAP and Statutory Accounting Principles. Incorporating all amendments to support new transactions and any changes in the business as applicable.
- Continually monitor developments in accounting guidance by the SEC, FASB, NAIC and other regulatory bodies to ensure that the Company is aware of any emerging or approved changes that will significantly impact the Company’s financial statements and related disclosures as business results.
- Assist with the analysis of accounting standard updates as they are issued and oversee the implementation of new accounting standards. Establish guidelines and processes for the review and implementation of accounting policies.
- Provide consultation on significant business transactions (e.g., mergers and acquisition, dispositions, asset sales, and joint ventures) including accounting due diligence, accounting structure review and recommendations, and key accounting, reporting and internal control matters.
- Participate in the preparation or review of technical accounting memos supporting significant accounting transactions
- Offer guidance and collaboration to the SEC and statutory reporting teams on the interpretation of disclosure requirements in preparation of the 10K/10Q and statutory financial statements.
- Set standards and offer direction to multiple functional areas throughout the Global Accounting organization, Finance, Investor Relations and other internal stakeholders on technical accounting matters
- Oversee & lead other special projects as needed
- 15 or more years of professional accounting experience to include 7 or more years in public accounting with National Office or SEC fellowship experience preferred
- 5 or more years managing a team
- CPA required
- College level degree in accounting
- Subject matter expertise in accounting standards including SEC and US GAAP and Statutory Accounting
- Experience analyzing and recommending appropriate strategies addressing technical accounting issues of merger & acquisition, disposition and complex business arrangements strongly preferred.
- Insurance industry experience strongly preferred.
- History of delivering business results
- Subject matter expertise in accounting standards & principles
- Collaborative work style
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and lead projects to completion
- Experience in a matrix work environment with competing priorities
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Ability and experience to present to C-Suite executives
- Develop technical training material
Request An Accommodation
If you need help with the application process or an accommodation, we encourage you to tell us so that we can try to get you the help you need. Assurant is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis.
Please visit Assurant.com/CustomerSupport/EmailAssurant and then select “Employees”. In the first dropdown, select "Career-Candidate Accommodation Request".
Assurant, Inc. (NYSE: AIZ) is a global provider of risk management solutions, protecting where consumers live and the goods they buy. A Fortune 500 company, Assurant focuses on the housing and lifestyle markets, and is among the market leaders in mobile device protection and related services; extended service contracts; vehicle protection; pre-funded funeral insurance; renters insurance; lender-placed homeowners insurance; and mortgage valuation and field services. Assurant has a market presence in 21 countries, while its Assurant Foundation works to support and improve communities. Learn more at assurant.com or on Twitter @AssurantNews.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs
Meet Our People
Ignacio D. - Senior Operations Analyst
Whether I'm working with people in Argentina or Chile or Miami, we all feel like we're part of the same company. And within my own group, we share ideas and analyze as a team - and drive for change, for improvements. We'll show each other how we do things and lend advice.
I also enjoy the focus on work-life balance - in the workplace, we're offered exercise classes or stretching classes with a trainer, for example. I've had the flexibility to take classes and training. And, we have the opportunity to give back to the community through events held throughout the year.