As we look back at 2023, we want to take a moment to reflect on the remarkable journey we have shared with our clients, customers, partners, and employees. We are proud of what we have accomplished together and are looking forward to what’s ahead in 2024 as we continue to drive innovation across the connected world.
Assurant’s Impact on Society
Strengthening the communities in which we live and work is foundational for Assurant. In 2023, we continued to demonstrate our values of common sense, common decency, uncommon thinking, and uncommon results in a multitude of ways.
Here are a few highlights:.
- Through the Assurant Foundation, employees are encouraged to share their support to nonprofits in their communities. In 2023, Assurant employees logged almost 90,000 volunteer hours in support of charities worldwide through the Assurant Cares portal; a nearly 38% increase from 2022’s reported volunteer hours
- We launched the #GivingtheAssurantWay campaign, aimed at meeting the needs of our global workforce. As part of this campaign, employees engaged in a 5K and supported nonprofits of their choice, including our longstanding partnership with United Way. Over 1,300 Assurant employees across 15 countries supported 424 charities, which helped raise over $175,500.
- We supported our strategic partner Move for Hunger, an organization that aims to fight hunger and reduce food waste, through our Turning Miles into Meals annual challenge. This challenge brought together 2,500 employees who invested in their well-being by moving for good in multiple ways, logging over 190,000 miles to raise $150,000 for Move for Hunger.
- Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) worked to provide opportunities for employees to serve and learn in support of our diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) marketplace goals. Together with The Assurant Foundation and the Women@Assurant ERG, they supported the York chapter of Habitat for Humanity’s Women’s Build, collectively donating 106 volunteer hours.
- The Women@Assurant ERG also hosted a hygiene kit packing event to benefit students in need in the greater Atlanta area. Over 60 Assurant leaders and employees packed 2,000 kits that were distributed to students from low-income communities. Each kit included body wash, shampoo and conditioner, lotion, comb, toothbrush, toothpaste, pair of socks, washcloth, and feminine hygiene products among other items.
- The Assurant Foundation and Assurant IT donated a total of 161 laptops to support education and equity for students from diverse backgrounds. The laptops were distributed to Miami Dade County Public Schools Migrant Seniors, the Jeanette Rankin Foundation Women Scholars, and Miami Southridge Senior High School.
- The Assurant Foundation, in honor of Veterans Day, presented a specially modified 2023 GMC Sierra 1500 truck to retired U.S. Army Sergeant Kevin Gatson as part of the Wounded Warrior Family Support (WWFS) Mobility is Freedom program. Assurant has partnered with WWFS since 2018, and this is the third mobility-modified vehicle presented to a veteran since the collaboration began.
- Including employee donations, the Assurant Foundation match, and a corporate gift, over $29,000 has been raised for the Atlanta Women’s Foundation.
Remaining Committed to being a Responsible Employer
Assurant’s culture is a key differentiating factor for us – it is grounded in our values and our commitments to serve our clients with passion and purpose, build and empower diverse, winning teams and bring determination to get things done.
We support our teams with opportunities to learn and grow, both professionally and personally across the 21 countries in which we operate. Our people are critical to our long-term success and serve as one of the most important ways we connect our strategy to our sustainability commitments and aspirations.
In 2023, we empowered employee development in numerous ways. This year, we had:
- Over 500 employees who participated in ERG-led DEI professional development courses
- 30 mentees and 11 mentors who participated in our DEI Mentoring Program in partnership with our ERGs
- 47 employees who participated in external leadership development programs, in partnership with our DEI strategic partners
- Over 2,000 employees who joined our five ERGs:
Gratitude for a Great Year
The snapshot above captures a view into Assurant’s year of great momentum and everyone’s collective role – from partners, customers, to our employees - in it. We are grateful for a wonderful and successful year. 2024 will certainly be a year of growth and opportunity ahead!